Nexus5 - 2 BT devices need simultaneous phone access for calls. How?

A

AC Question

A quick question. There are multiple posts about trying to connect multiple devices via bluetooth but havn't found any about issues with the "calls" portion of the pairing.

When I am at home, my Nexus5 (latest OTA firmware, non rooted) will pair with my home wireless phones via BT so I leave my N5 on the charger and if a call comes in, all the wireless phones in the house will ring. In itself, that is fine.

The issue is when I add the car to the mix. The car also has BT and can handle calls. As I leave home, the car will pair audio/media but since the home wireless phones are still connected (as they are still in range), the car will not handle calls. As I drive away, the home phones are out of range but the car still won't have taken over for calls. I have to re-pair manually (cycle BT off/on).

The same will happen as I drive back home, before shutting off the car, the home wireless phones will attempt to pair but won't as my N5 is still paired to the car. Then again I will need to cycle BT off/on to force a reconnect for it to work.

Any solutions to this issue?
Thanks in advance!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
While multiple bluetooth devices CAN coexist in most cases, I don't think this is possible when they serve the same purpose, whichever connected first gets control of those feature, you best option would be to manually disconnect the one BEFORE the other connects if you can.

SVoyager

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Thx for the reply. I had a feeling that it would be limited. I can see that for security reasons, it would not be allowed to have more than one device handle calls.

Could there be some sort of workaround for this? Would there be a way to automate the on/off process via some app or other means. I always happen to have forgotten to cycle it whenever I receive a call heh.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thx for the reply. I had a feeling that it would be limited. I can see that for security reasons, it would not be allowed to have more than one device handle calls.

Could there be some sort of workaround for this? Would there be a way to automate the on/off process via some app or other means. I always happen to have forgotten to cycle it whenever I receive a call heh.

Maybe an app, but not that I'm aware of

SVoyager

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, alot of great info to be had here!

A quick update on the issue in case others find this post while searching for an answer.
I tried Tasker and that did it. I forced a cycle whenever the car and home phone were connected simultaneously. It will keep cycling every 30 secs until one is no longer available. I have been testing it for the past week and its been working flawlessly!

Thanks again for the help!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995