Fairly new to Android. Trying Galaxy Tab A (says it has GPS on it). In coffee shop, on free Wi-Fi, turned on directions to home. Then forgot it and left for shopping. A half mile from coffee shop, going in opposite direction from home, heard voice telling me to make a left turn.

I doubt that I still had the coffee shop Wi-Fi connection, why was the GPS still working?
    Eventually it stopped working. Does the GPS work even without a Wi-Fi or cellular connection? Is there something on the device that detects and uses any other open Wi-Fi, even if I did not manually make a connection?
    12-08-2016 09:40 AM
    GPS can work independently but a data connection is good so the maps are downloading for the area you are in, although maps can be downloaded for offline use.
    12-08-2016 09:46 AM
    "GPS can work independently ", how is that possible, works without a connection to the internet, but somehow sends and receives from a GPS satellite?
    Without the internet connection, how does it determine where you are, when driving?
    12-08-2016 09:51 AM
    Why would it need an internet connection to track satellites. Do sat nave units in cars connect to the internet? GPS listens, it does not connect to satellites. It determines where you are when you are driving, without the internet. GPS technology is older than the internet. As I say, not needed except for map data which you can download or use mobile data.
    lions_lair99 likes this.
    12-08-2016 10:05 AM
    GPS does not use the internet to connect to satellites. As mentioned, GPS is older than the internet, by around 20yrs. Internet began in the 90s, and GPS was operational in 1973. Each satellite in the Sky is a transmitter, and the GPS is just a receiver. All calculations for positioning are done onboard the phone from the data given by satellites.
    12-08-2016 10:12 AM
    My questions are coming from having no experience with GPS, and, having been told by a BestBuy person that a cellular connection was required for it to work. So, if I understand you correctly, I can use my Android tablet to determine where I am, and if I want turn by turn directions, I must have previously downloaded area maps to my device. Thanks.
    12-08-2016 10:13 AM
    Yes, you got it in one New to Android and know more than the people in Best Buy already
    Welcome to AC! Fire away with more questions if you have any.
    Carstenihm likes this.
    12-08-2016 10:16 AM
    Once you set the app (usually Maps) up for your destination (so it gets the lat/lon coordinates), you really don't need a data connection. (GPS is a totally separate radio system - the tab is listening to the satellites' transmitters directly.) Remember, GPS devices don't have any sort of data connection, just internal maps. (The GPS receiver reports its lat/lon location to the navigation app, so if the app has a map saved [like if you're driving in a limited area] it's going to know where you are in relation to your destination, and the route to get to it.)
    12-08-2016 02:45 PM
    All of the above. Also, you can download areas and use the navigator offline. Meaning the phone has the maps internally and can navigate you without any (network) connection of it can "see" the gps satellites...
    12-09-2016 09:58 AM
    Use GPS Status & Toolbox to see whether the phone sees GPS satellites, and when it locks to them. (The first, cold, lock can take 30 seconds.)
    12-09-2016 12:47 PM