UK investigatory powers bill - Google security updates/patches

A

AC Question

In light of the new Investigatory powers act 2016 that has come into effect in UK, the new legislation stipulates that any telecommunications operator or electronic communication device manufacturer/software programme, has to include a backdoor access to allow decryption for probing and ''equipment inteference' by the relevant governing bodies.*

This applies to all communication/device manufacturers/software that is currently sold in the UK.

The legislation also requires that any further*software*updates or new communication equipment be made available to certain governing bodies before the sale of software/devices, to allow a review and insertion of backdoor access, whether physically or via*software*programming.*

Is anybody familiar with how this will apply to Google/android and the regular security updates that are provided to these devices? Will*google*promptly follow the requirements for this legislation, which would mean, the next security update will include this backdoor access?

This raises major concerns for the*security*and privacy for all google/android based handsets and google based cloud storage services that are sold within the UK, as over 50 government organisations will be allowed to request probing and bypass of any encryption. What concerns me more so, is the misuse of this backdoor access by rogue hackers that unfortunately, may now be able to hack devices more easily with this backdoor access enforced by this new legislation.*

As far as I am aware, other manufacturer*software*updates for their handsets are never as rapid as googles own devices to receive these updates, and I am thinking, does this mean the implementation of this backdoor access will be likely to be included in either December 2016 or January 2017?

Will*google*issue this backdoor access for only handsets connected in the UK or will it be a worldwide update?

If anybody has any relevant information to elucidate me on this, it would be greatly appreciated, as unfortunately, the new legislation also includes a gagging clause, which prohibits any manufacturer or*software*programme/oS, from revealing if/when a backdoor access has been initialized.