How do I set up Messages+ on a tablet with no phone?

A

AC Question

I got my son a new Verizon tablet that is powered by Android and I personally have an Iphone. I want to be able to text with him and he does not have a cell phone. The store associate at Verizon suggested Messages+ to text with him, but I can not figure out how to set it up on his tablet because it keeps asking for a cell phone number to send a validation code to, and although the tablet has its own phone number, it does not receive text messages until this app is set up. I tried using my iPhone number, but then all my text messages went to his tablet and I definitely do not want this, so I disconnected the link between his tablet and my phone. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I assume that the tablet doesn't have actual phone/SMS capability because you aren't just sending him straight up SMS? You did mention that the tablet has its own number. I know it's uncommon in the US, but in Asia, a lot of Android tablets have SMS and calling. Basically oversized Android phones.

Anyway, you are not required to use Messages+. If the tablet has its own number, I'm assuming its a network enabled tablet and has a built in SMS app. You can just straight send it SMS. If that doesn't work, you can try activating Hangouts on the Android tablet to work as the SMS app. If that still doesn't work, I suggest downloading Hangouts on your iPhone and sending messages to the tablet via that app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes