How can I fix this very bad situation?

A

AC Question

Saturday night, December 31st, I dropped my Galaxy S6 Edge in the toilet for the third time since getting the phone in September of 2015. I instantly took it out, dried it with toilet paper, sucked the water out of the charging port and headphone jack (gross, but I was desperate). It worked afterwards, microphone, both speakers, both cameras, all buttons, screen. It began to flash a black screen with 4 white, horizontal lines evenly spaced and turn off. It did this 2 or 3 times then was fine. The phone read, "15% battery," so I went to plug it in and it would not charge. The screen read, "Charge paused. Battery temperature too low," although my phone was blazing hot. After looking into it, I found that the battery, temperature sensor, and charging port all most likely needed to be replaced. Any time I tried to plug the phone in the same message would come up, even after using rice and attempting a reset using the volume, home, and lock button, until tonight, January 1st. I was going to wait until Monday, January 2nd to take it to a phone repair shop, because although I have insurance, I wanted to keep this phone for the contents of the phone.

Fast forward to tonight, January 1st, around 10:30PM, I decided to plug my phone in to see if it would charge. It began to charge, but within 15 minutes the battery temp too low message came up. Around 11PM, my boyfriend said he could fix it by soaking my phone in 70% isopropyl alcohol then vacuuming and blow drying the phone. We took out the SIM card. While the phone was soaking in the alcohol, the message, "Downloading... Do not turn off the target," came up, which is the message presented when you attempt to do the hard reset (volume, home, lock). We took the phone out of the alcohol and proceeded to vacuum it. The message went away, the screen turned black, and nothing else happened. We blow dried the phone and the message, "Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge," came up as if the phone was turning on. Then it went black, it does not appear to be on, the LED notification light started to flash dark blue and fade to green/light blue, then fade back to dark blue, consistently for about 20 minutes. I reinserted the SIM card and attempted to hard reset it. At the regular time that the message would come up, my LED flash, on the back of the phone for photos, started to go off. Now if plugged in to charge, the message no longer comes up that the phone temperature is too low, nothing comes up except for the camera flash going off. The LED notification light finally turned off and I have no idea if the phone is on or off. The flash is still going off and the phone is in a box of rice.

This is an insane story, does anyone know what to do? I feel like I should have waited instead of soaking the phone in alcohol, as that seemed far fetched, but I was just eager to have a working phone.

Thanks in advance.

tka2019

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Yup. It's gone.

For future reference, tell your boyfriend to use 99% Iso and do it with the phone off next time :)

I'm the original poster. Do you think there is any way that they could retrieve the information on my phone? Taking it to a repair shop tomorrow. Do you think if they completely replaced the inside it would work again? I just want the information on the phone.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the second reply, but do you think if we did it again with 99% it would work now? And the phone was off.
No need to apologize for posting again. It's too late to try 99% (pure) alcohol. From your description, the damage is already done and nothing short of replacing parts will fix the phone. The problem is that even if the repair shop replaces every single part in the phone, it's going to cost almost the same as a new phone, or it might even be more expensive (due to labor).

As for your data, if the repair shop has to replace the motherboard, then your data is lost. However, they might be able to retrieve the data if they're good enough at doing creative troubleshooting/repairs. Ask them to try whatever it takes, however, be aware they may charge you for the attempt.

Good luck!