"best" Mid tier phone

A

AC Question

Now that Google has retired the Nexus as the king of the $300 (ish) phones what would be considered the best buy in that price range? I was looking at the oneplus 3, the Honor 8 and the ZTE Axon 7 as my best bets now that the Pixel is out of my price range.

I see that Amazon has a BIG price cut on the new Honor 8 ($281 for white 32 gig, and $285 for the black 32 gig phone).... any downsides to that one? Has it gotten good reviews so far in terms of hardware? (I'd probably rom and flash the sucker to Cyanagonmod or something since I've heard the EMUI gui is pretty "meh" (not a big deal).

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: "best" Mid tier phone

I've had the Honor 8 for over a week now. The speaker is a little lackluster, but it gets the job done, I never miss a notification. Otherwise it's great.

I recommend a case. The hardware is impeccable, but super slippery. Cheers.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the Nexus 5 and loved it, so I definitely agree with it being the king of the midrange world when it was available. I actually just bought the Honor 8 about two weeks ago, and really love it! I think the only downside to this phone - at least, for me - is that it doesn't have a removable battery. But it's fast, the display and camera are awesome, and I love the fingerprint scanner. Also, at 5.2", it's the perfect holding size (again, for me, anyway!). I bought mine at Newegg, at $100 off. If you can get one for the deal you mentioned, that's a steal!

Other good phones to look at as far as midrange is concerned is the Axon 7, like you mentioned, and also the Asus Zenfone 3. I had it between Honor and Asus when I was trying to decide. The Zenfone 3 is 5.5" if you're looking for something a little bigger.

Let us know what you decide!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: "best" Mid tier phone

The Nexus 5X has recently been plauged with the dreaded boot loop issue. I can't really recommend this phone. I had a boot looped G4. Infuriating.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site