For a couple weeks now, randomly, I will unlock my screen and there will be an ad. Usually it's a small ad with a large black background that takes up the entire screen, tiny close [x] in top left and "AdChoices" link in top right. If I click that, I am redirected to a google ads preferences link...

Am I getting this from malware or from the google apps on my phone??... Really confused here.

Working with a Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Android 6.0.1., I don't have ES Explorer (as mentioned in previous posts I've seen about malware).
    01-05-2017 12:34 PM
    Hi and Happy new year.

Are you using a different launcher? Samsung comes with Touchwiz by stock and my people decide to change this to add more customization and use a less bulky launcher, but if you want to avoid the adds I suggest to get the premium version of the app.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Cheers

Erasmo
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-05-2017 01:38 PM
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the response. I am not sure what you mean by launcher, i've never had a different one other than the default (as far as I know). The ads typically only happen in the morning when I wake and the afternoon. I will attach two pictures of ones I've gotten. I unlock the phone and the ad takes up the whole home screen...Ads on my full homescreen when I unlock my phone?-screenshot_2017-01-05-06-38-52.jpgAds on my full homescreen when I unlock my phone?-screenshot_2017-01-06-06-26-31.jpg
    01-06-2017 09:27 AM
    There are reports of different apps pushing ads on the lock screen, Z keyboard, several free games and apps created by DU, GO ir CM. You could check in your settings which apps include the 'draw over other apps’ permission. The culprit should be on that list.
    01-06-2017 12:19 PM
    I have the same thing happening, fully default on my homescreen. They pop up once every other day or so. They pop up when I unlock the phone or when I exit google maps after driving somewhere. Maybe other times as well, but mostly on those two events. It has been happening for 2-3 weeks, I have deleted every app I have installed since 2017, not very many, I usually run a pretty minimalist phone. Running a galaxy s7 edge, with the latest update. Is this google finally making us pay for 10 years of free service, or is this malware?
    03-20-2017 08:40 AM
    Did not see any "draw over" permissions in my app permission settings.
    03-20-2017 08:42 AM