I have created some bookmarks in chrome and added them to my homescreen. These are either some apps/websites which i vist rarely and want to avoid having individual apps installed or some daily visit websites which doesn't have an app. These shortcuts open fine with chrome but the problem is they open only with chrome. I am currently trying some lightweight browsers like xbrowser, naked browser and want these shortcuts to open directly with the system's default browser. Even if I uninstall/disable chrome, these shortcuts don't open with any other browser. Same goes for shortcuts created using any other browser. I would like to have url shortcuts on homescreen which are independent of any particular browser. Plz help
    01-15-2017 02:22 PM
    Sounds like you told Android to always use Chrome to open an HTML URL.

To change this, go to
    Settings > apps > ... > default apps
    01-15-2017 05:40 PM
    Sounds like you told Android to always use Chrome to open an HTML URL.

To change this, go to
    Settings > apps > ... > default apps
    Kindly read my post in carefully. This has nothing to do with chome defaults. As I said, even when Chrome is uninstalled or disabled, the url doesn't opens with other available browsers. It says, App not found.
    Similarly, If I create a url shortcut using xBrowser, it always opens in xBrowser and not even in chrome.
    It most likely is defined in the url shortcut itself which app it will open in just like we define shortcuts in Windows desktop. Just that we don't have any option to edit the shortcut here.
    01-16-2017 01:52 AM
    Anyone? Plz help
    01-16-2017 07:35 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately those shortcuts will be always opened by the app that created them. As far as I know there's no way to change that.

You could try a different approach. Some notes taking apps let you add shortcuts for specific notes. I've tried this with Evernote and it worked. Create a note that includes the link, save it, long press on it to select, tap on the three dots top right and select 'add to homescreen'.

You will need an extra click to open the link, but you can change the default browser as many times as you want.
    sk1122 likes this.
    01-16-2017 08:24 AM
    Thanks @Javier P
    Any other workaround or suggestions are welcome.

I can't believe this is not possible at all. Maybe people did not try much on this yet? I will also look for some solution. Meanwhile, any ideas are welcome. Plz share
    01-16-2017 09:04 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately those shortcuts will be always opened by the app that created them. As far as I know there's no way to change that.
    One question: Are these shortcuts basically .url files? Anyways to access them on the file system and try to tweak / edit the default app like we do in windows?
    01-16-2017 09:08 AM
    One question: Are these shortcuts basically .url files? Anyways to access them on the file system and try to tweak / edit the default app like we do in windows?
    No, I don't think they are. They "belong" to the app that created them, so the url will be opened in that particular app.

There are some apps on the Play Store that claim to do what you need. I haven't tried any of them, some haven't been updated for a long time and it seems you'll need a custom launcher to make the shortcuts look nice. Worth a try though. Search for 'url shortcut' in the PS and see if they work for you.
    01-16-2017 09:38 AM
    No, I don't think they are. They "belong" to the app that created them, so the url will be opened in that particular app.

There are some apps on the Play Store that claim to do what you need. I haven't tried any of them, some haven't been updated for a long time and it seems you'll need a custom launcher to make the shortcuts look nice. Worth a try though. Search for 'url shortcut' in the PS and see if they work for you.
    Yes. Even I found some. Will try.
    01-17-2017 01:04 AM
    Yes. Even I found some. Will try.
    Tell us how it goes. Got curious about this issue and it will be very helpful for other members that need this kind of shortcuts.
    01-17-2017 08:37 AM
    Tell us how it goes. Got curious about this issue and it will be very helpful for other members that need this kind of shortcuts.
    I found a good solution.
    Just one of the lightweight browsers I was most interested in - Naked Browser has a Pro version too. Bought it. Worth it. It has the option just like any other browser to create shortcuts. Surprisingly, the shortcuts it creates for URLs are simple launcher shortcuts and can be opened with any browser. If default is not assigned it asks for choice and we can always assign default like we do for other files.
    Tested with 3 browsers installed at the same time, these shortcuts ask for which browser to open in with "Just Once" and "Always" options.

BTW, removed all other browsers and Naked Browser Pro has become my main and only browser now. Chrome was hogging too much resource. Thanks for all your help here.

One downside though - these shortcuts don't get the icon of the website like in case of other browsers to make these almost look like individual apps but works for me. Not a big issue. The icons will have the First letter of the webpage name

But any other generic solution, will be most welcome.
    Javier P and ManiacJoe like this.
    01-19-2017 07:39 AM
    Excellent! Thanks for the follow up, it will be very helpful for other members with a similar issue.
    sk1122 likes this.
    01-19-2017 07:45 AM