why will email programs not delete mail from server

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Here is the issue. I have used a number of email apps and NONE of them really delete mail from the server. They say it does but nopes. When setting up these apps I tell them it is POP not IMAP. But it doesn't matter. So after a week I have to logon to my server and delete any where between 2000 to 3000 emails. This what happens when one has the same email for 20 years. I get 500 to 600 Spams a day. Currently I am using bluemail.
Any ideas???

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Ok i will accept that but it is contrary to 20 years of using POP3 my mail was always deleted from the server. It explains why none of these email clients never had a setting of "leave mail on server". After doing some reading I still would have chosen POP over IMAP due to nothing else is synced. One device. Oh well just proves that i am to stupid to live : p
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
POP3 servers usually give you an option to delete the email from the server. Open your Bluemail app, tap Menu>Settings, select the POP3 email account, and look for an option for deleting emails from the server. You might have to edit the server settings to find it.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
With POP3, you have two options for message handling:
- Download the messages to your device now talking to the server and delete the messages from the server. Obviously this does not work well for multiple devices.
- Download the messages to your device now talking to the server, mark these messages as "downloaded", and leave them on the server for other devices to download.

With POP3, there is no syncing of the message folders, just download and send. Any concept of a trash folder on the server is there for when you delete the messages while browsing them on the server.

With IMAP, your mail folders are synced between the server and device. Moving the message on the phone to a new folder does the same on the server. Ditto for moving the message into the "trash" using the delete command.

I have my phone using the IMAP protocol so that it stays in sync with the server folders.
I have my computer using the Exchange protocol to download all the message folders and remove the messages from the server, which also clears them from my phone on its next sync with the server.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With POP3, you have two options for message handling:
- Download the messages to your device now talking to the server and delete the messages from the server. Obviously this does not work well for multiple devices.
- Download the messages to your device now talking to the server, mark these messages as "downloaded", and leave them on the server for other devices to download.

With POP3, there is no syncing of the message folders, just download and send. Any concept of a trash folder on the server is there for when you delete the messages while browsing them on the server.

With IMAP, your mail folders are synced between the server and device. Moving the message on the phone to a new folder does the same on the server. Ditto for moving the message into the "trash" using the delete command.

I have my phone using the IMAP protocol so that it stays in sync with the server folders.
I have my computer using the Exchange protocol to download all the message folders and remove the messages from the server, which also clears them from my phone on its next sync with the server.

This is perhaps the best and most succinct explanation I've seen to date about this issue. I may have to plagiarize it.;)

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Yep Good answer.. I bow to the master..Since i live in the land of "I don't know".. I find it very frustrating that there is no documentation.. Being an old schooler i want to read about App X or program X. The idea of intutive learning has never really worked for me.. This issue is a prime example.
Now i need to find out the other answers that are driving me nuts.. GRIN
Much gratitude

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Part of the reason why solid documentation for Android is hard to come by is because it's in a state of constant flux. A new version comes out essentially every year with some major modifications, while regular system updates (i.e., the security ones) might also add or eliminate minor features. Each manufacturer adds their own touches to the base Android code. Documentation for 3rd party apps is wholly up to those developers.

If you need help, one of the first things you should try (besides asking here:)) is tap the Menu button, then Help. If it's a Google/Android app you're in, it should take you to the proper Google support page, which can sometimes be really informative.

I also have this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ting-started-android-updated-2016-nougat.html. But it's very difficult to make a one-size-fits-all guide, so it can't answer every question.

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks I will cgeck out the link you added..

When checking Bluemail there was no help in the menu just Tips..Oh well

To be honest the explaination you gave for why there is no help.. is simply an justification for lazyness. this younger generation is kindof lazy. so why write help systems I'm to busy texting.. let alone write proper English.
as for changes.. that is what change logs are for. it takes no time to write a paragraph that says Change to xyz for secuity reason..
But then I am old school I still write letters and use the postal service..there is nothing more personal LoL
Again many thanks I really appreicate it.

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I made the changes you suggested.. changed it to IMAP ..
So nw how do you explain this..
Went to my server and there was STILL mail there that was not deleted..granted it dropped it down by 3/4 so instead of having 2000 I had only 500..
So from my tiny mind IMAP is not the silver bullet advocated..
Thanks anyway

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If you have lots of email on the server, your email app is probably throttling the amount downloaded to your phone.

Using a web browser, go to your web email site and do a one-time cleaning from there. After that, your email app should have no problem keeping up with the flow using IMAP.

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Been there Done that.
Before I made the IMAP change cleared All the mail ..
Geesh.. Throttling.. Who gave them that permission?? Honestly every App I have encounted for this android system is a hunk of junk.. This is just like MS was in the beginning back in the days of Win98 .. Where I used to work in a previous life. a MS rep said the policy of MS was to throw out Programs that necessary didn't really work, watched the reception and if it was accepted .. THEN fix the bugs..
So I guess the bar is set low and these developers only have to aim low ... BUT they still miss..
As Always Much graituted

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it throttling -- that has more of a negative connotation, since it's associated with a carrier restricting a user's data speed due to excessive usage. This is more of a practical matter -- if you have thousands upon thousands of saved emails, it would take a while (and probably a bit of battery) for the phone to completely sync every saved email. You can often choose how many days of email (or how many total emails) to sync in the settings.

Personally, I prefer using Gmail (rather than another email provider via a stock email client), because it's just smoother and more tightly integrated. It hasn't acted like a hunk of junk for me ...

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I understood what you meant by throttling.. and it not applying to controlling speed of access.. Where I live there is no such thing as the fast lane.. cuz we have only ONE ISP and one Phone Co.. so they control the whole shooting match..
Huh.. so the only way it seems to have a good experience with emails.. is to change my email account.. SIGH.. I have had the same address for 20 years and I don't feel that I should give that up just cuz the Yahoos don't want to be diverse in think there ARE other email services. I don't think so.. My case in point for keeping the same email.. is somebody wrote me recently who I hadn't hear:-:-d from in about 5 yrs.. If I was caprecious and change emails with the wind I would have never gotten this email.. and it was important..
Well thanks for the explination..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you use Yahoo for email, then try the Yahoo Mail app (instead of having it go through the stock email client app). But considering how dismal Yahoo's security has been over the past few years, I'd strongly consider migrating from Yahoo Mail to something more reliable anyway. You can always set it up to forward your Yahoo Mail to the new email account during the transition period.

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
So If I understand you correctly you are saying dump my personal server that I have had for 20 yrs and become main stream zombie, because these developers can not adapt to the idea that there are others out there who do not want to jump on the gmail or hotmail bandwagon..

My reson for saying these apps are nothing but a hunk of junk is two fold ..
The first is this Email app.. Last night I left abouty 10 messages unread cuz I wanted to deal with them in the marrow.. durring the night i get about 200 spams.. and now the 10 I had left it says they are not there anymore..
the second point is an app made by firetrust.. called Mailwasher.. I have been using it on a PC for donkey years and was thrilled to see they had developed it for android.. Boy was I so wrong .. it keeps making me login and is so cumberson that I dumped it as fast as I DnLded it..
IMHO it just shows how lazy these developers are and not wanting to deal with legacy or other things that are not main stream

The reviews were mixed and now I realise that I should have listen to what I read.
The more I deal with stuff the more I get the message I need to get a PC running again.. But I have a house to build and that is far more important.

As always Thank you for you assistance and Knowlage

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
MailWasher is a great program on the PC. I have not tried it on the phone.

If you are running your own mail server, is the software up to date?
Which email server software is it?

Airwreck

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Yes up to date the hosting co just upgraded the servers..
The webmail service is mailenable.

Test drive mailwasher on your phone and you begin to understand my point...

Thanks for your insight

cjsab504

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much for sharing that link! Unlike some people who complain about "information overload", I feel like there's just never *enough*!

Incidentally, I cast my vote for "Zagnut" as the next OS version moniker. Good enough for Beetlejuice, need I say more?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech