When I go on-call, I have to change my notification sound for texts to an obnoxiously loud alert at night so I wake up. I'd rather not have to change it for every text that comes in, and only set it for this one contact. When I get paged, it comes from an email address in the form of a text. I have no idea how it's set up at the company level to do that. We have a group in Active Directory, and when any of us go on-call we're the only one in that group. When someone sends an email to that specific address, then it comes to my / our phones as a text. I've created a contact for it, and I can see when I get paged that it is coming from "Pager". But since the only identifier I have for it is an email address - and it isn't coming in as an email - then it plays the default text notification sound.
    01-19-2017 09:17 AM
    That email is coming through a text gateway. For example, they have you programmed in as 111-222-3333@vztext.com (if you're on Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint, Fi all have their own) so the system can send an email to you to show up as a text on your phone. The only thing I could think of is to keep the "conversation" open and set a tone specific to that "conversation" so when you get the next message in it it rings with that tone. Provided your texting app allows such a setup (Hangouts actually does).

Welcome to the forums!
    01-19-2017 11:36 AM
    hallux,

Thanks for welcoming me into the forums and for your response to my post. I guess I should mention I'm still using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I do have Hangouts on it, but I don't see any way to add this "contact" to it or any way to assign a different notification alert on there. I realize this is a weird situation - receiving texts that come in from an email address. So, I'm probably going to have to just live with changing my notification tone at night for all texts coming in.
    01-19-2017 12:40 PM
    You're not adding the contact, per se. If you use Hangouts for texting (I do, so I know this), open a "conversation" from that email address, one of the text conversations. In there, tap the overflow menu (3 dots, top right corner) and select options. Tap the chat message sound option and select the ringtone.

As long as that "conversation" remains open (you never delete it) you should get notifications for it using the sound you selected.
    01-19-2017 04:35 PM
    Here's a screenshot of where you set the per-conversation sound to make one conversation have a different alert than your system-wide one.
    Attached Thumbnails How can I set a text notification sound for a contact that only has an email address?-20668.jpg  
    01-19-2017 04:37 PM