I have an old Galaxy S4 hahaha I know....really old and it is running Android version 5.0.1....it says there is no firmware update available, but the most current version out is 7.1....obviously there is several out since mine. Please help! Thank you
    01-19-2017 02:50 PM
    Welcome.

It may be possible to flash custom versions of later versions of the OS....XDA Forums is a good place to search. That is not without risk, however.
    Your S4 is doing okay. I have two phones, both younger, running Lollipop.
    01-19-2017 04:43 PM
    "Officially" you can only get what the manufacturer puts out (and if you're unlucky enough, what your carrier has blessed to push).
    Un-officially, there is a large community of super smart folks that take the new firmware and backport it to make it work on older hardware. Sometimes it works well, other times, not so much. Know your EXACT model (S4 isn't anywhere near specific enough) and READ, re-read, and read the directions again. Go over the comments. A rom may have an annoying bug that will drive you nuts, or it may only affect a feature you planned on disabling anyways.
    Then read again.
    Make sure you have everything you need BEFORE you start anything.
    Make sure you have everything to put it back the way it WAS BEFORE starting.
    It's a great experience.

Oh, Things can and occasionally do go wrong. Have a backup plan in case this is your only phone.
    hallux likes this.
    01-21-2017 02:54 AM