Samsung s6 says "Screen" is draining battery fast all of a sudden, how to fix?

A

AC Question

I have the Samsung S6 with latest update. The last 2 days (at least) I've noticed my battery drain being bad again. The battery usage section says it's my screen doing 70% of it. My background is dark gray. The brightness is at about 40%. Also on auto. Putting it on manual doesn't make a difference. I just updated to the latest update last night. I was worried about doing the update. Everything seems okay but the drain still seems worrisome. I don't have Bluetooth on, I'm usually near wifi. Sound is almost always on vibrate. But anyway, it says the screen is the issue. I don't want to go any darker in brightness. So what's the fix?

Spokendisease

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I had let the phone die completely and charged it up fully while off. I did the safe mode and wipe the cache clear but it didn't help. I'm at 85% and I've been using the phone about 25 minutes from a full charge. The screen is still using up the most battery life at 67%. Ugh. How do I go about backing up apps for a factory reset?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had let the phone die completely and charged it up fully while off. I did the safe mode and wipe the cache clear but it didn't help. I'm at 85% and I've been using the phone about 25 minutes from a full charge. The screen is still using up the most battery life at 67%. Ugh. How do I go about backing up apps for a factory reset?
It depends on the app in question. A lot of Google apps are backed up already. I would utilize Google photos and upload them over wifi.

What else do you need to back up?

Spokendisease

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I will have to see. I am concerned about my photos, but I have some apps like an expenses tracking app, hours at work tracker, and a notes app. Those are the main ones that the data is crucial. How about document files?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Some things can probably be pulled to your PC. App data is going to be more difficult. There used to be an app called Helium that would back up data, but offhand, I can't remember if it worked for all devices or not.

Spokendisease

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Okay, called Samsung a few times and they told me to do the partition cache clear and also to try to operate the phone in safemode. Safemode still acted the same with the battery drain. So they said take it to a Samsung service center, made some phone calls to the local ones and no one ever answered the phone or even returned my calls after I left voicemails. Then I realized what I suspected that these centers wouldn't repair my Verizon phone anyway. There was a Samsung service center for Verizon phones further away. Just one. It was in Best Buy about 18 miles away from me. The others were much closer but for T-Mobile customers. Anyway, So I drove out there Sunday. Waited about 2 or 3 hours for them to wipe my phone and "flash" it re-install a different software update or kernal? I kept asking about it saving my app data and they reassured me they would despite my serious doubts. Luckily I had did a few app backups on the important apps the Sunday before and had them sent to my email. Well they wiped the phone and all. And of course the important apps didn't save the data. Surprise, surprise. When I got home, I tried to recover the backups from my emails, and magically, for some stupid reason all emails were there EXCEPT the ones from that Sunday. There were emails up to that Sunday and AFTER that Sunday but it was like it didn't exist on my phone updates. Some were on my laptop email app so I saved what I could. Then there were the backup emails that had the title it was a backup but no file in the email! You can imagine I wasn't too happy at this point. I kept cool though. And the phone was still draining and worse now! So I called up Best Buy again, they said they need to replace the battery next. That cost $60 and still may not fix the problem.
They also said they could do it that night if I got there within the next 30-45 minutes...the trip according to maps is a 34 min drive. But I got there and the guy who helped me is a former coworker from another job. I told him what happened and expressed my concerns about replacing the battery and how it "may" fix the issue. But what other choice did I really have at this point? So I went along with it. Well, it took about another 2 hours and I was waiting around both times. The battery replacement seemed to work though and it seemed to be AWESOME! my phone was stating it could go like 15 hours on one charge. Now, I didn't get to use it a ton or around normal usage but it did seem very good. Then, Yesterday, I woke up to it doing the same thing again. 20 mins on the phone just browsing emails and facebook and it was draining quickly. I did some update it needed. Then went to an appoint. After the appointment it seemed to be doing better again. It lasted a good while yesterday, at around 8 or 9 pm I went to bed and it was around 35%. Great in my mind. This morning I got up, went on facebook and emails again. I have spent an hour and a half on the phone consistently which is a good usage. I got on the phone at around 5:45 am. And now it is 8:29 am. I haven't spent the ENTIRE time on the phone. It is at 65%. Screen is using the phone at 35%. It is the top user of battery life. I've noticed when the battery life is great, the screen is NOT the top user. It will be down the list and at 17% or so,

They removed some apps after the battery change. OR they said they did but it seems like the apps are still there. I don't know. I have a job and I have a lot of other things to do right now, I don't have a ton of free time to chase down this problem. I also don't have a ton of money to chase fixes either. Basically I'm done.

I want to know specs on the s6 battery. What is a good battery life span or a good average battery usage? How long does a typical battery last on a single full charge. Is there a way to find this info? What do I do next?

Thanks for any further help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome