I've added a 32GB sorage card & changed the default from phone storage to SD Card. It shows the new storage available & every time I try to add an app from the google play store - it says there is not enough storage on my device. Sowing apps that I do not want to delete at this time. I can't add a cleaner or storage sorter. What can I do? I have an Alcatel One Touch phone.
    01-30-2017 08:49 PM
    Welcome to Android Central.

How did you change the default storage? That's only possible with the Camera app afaik.

When you download an app from the Play Store it necessarily stores in internal storage. That is the message you are getting.

You may have an option on some downloaded apps to Move to SD Card in Settings - Apps, but this only moves portions or chunks of each app out of internal storage until they are updated later. The main app needs to create links to those portions.
    You generally don't save much space even in the short term.

Don't try a cleaner or storage sorter. They make it worse.

Try to prioritise the apps you need on limited device storage, and use the card as media and file storage.

See this guide :
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=315804
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-30-2017 09:06 PM
    Thank you so much for your reply. I probably should have stated (instead of saying "default") that I changed the storage from the phone to the SD card as the "primary storage". I did that in Settings, (under Device) Storage, then Storage Manager. If you hold down Storage Manager it brings up 2 options to choose from - Phone storage or SD card to set as current primary storage.
    I'm hoping I can transfer my photographs from the phone storage to my computer & free up space & then from now on place everything on the 32GB SD card & only use the phone storage to download apps. So does that mean there is only 2G capability on the phone storage - or can I buy additional internal phone storage? Thanks again.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    01-31-2017 04:56 PM
    Thanks for registering.

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you were not looking at the File Manager app on the Alcatel, which incidentally will allow you to move photos and other media from internal storage to the SD Card.

Primary Storage, and Storage Manager does not come up in the manual for your device, and is not the way Android works.

[Some device manufacturers on recent Android versions from version 6.0 allow the sd card to be used as adoptable (internal) storage but that doesn't apply here.]

Try moving the media and files other than apps on to the card using File Manager.

Also go to Settings - Storage - Cached Data and touch to clear. There is often 300mb to 1gb here that can be cleared safely.

If you find you eventually have around 300mb of available storage you may not be able to download a small app still, as the operating system needs that much headroom free.

Can you possibly post screenshots of that Storage Manager screen?
    Guide here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=413366
    Is it possible your device was previously owned and someone rooted and put a custom rom in place of the standard UI.
    (that's really not my area, but might explain what you are seeing).

There are more experienced responders here possibly rolling their eyes at my deduction but they may be able to assist you more.

Bottom line though, yes you probably are very limited to what else you can download. Try reading B. Diddy's guide above.

A screenshot of all your storage graphs would be very interesting.
    In point of fact you can list the apps below the graph in order of size.
    01-31-2017 05:57 PM
    Hi, I was able to successfully take the screen shot - but now getting it here is another thing. Just wanted to let you know, I'm working on it Unfortunately, there are no clips or picture boxes to insert - going to my screen shot in my gallery will only allow me to post it using an app like facebook or email.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    01-31-2017 08:41 PM