This question has been asked a thousand times, but I don't see an intelligent reply or solution yet, so let me try.
    My Lenovo Yoga YT3 tablet running Android 5.1.1 is prompting me for a System Update "you system can update to the latest version").
    But, it is also warning me, scarily, that "this update will erase ALL data.... please back up etc.etc."

However, under Backup and Reset I am getting the message above: "No account is currently storing backed up data"
    even though I have 2 accounts setup under Google.

How do I associate one of these accounts (ideally a different one than my phone is backing up to) for backup storage?

thanks
    Peter
    02-01-2017 08:23 AM
    This question has been asked a thousand times, but I don't see an intelligent reply or solution yet, so let me try.
    My Lenovo Yoga YT3 tablet running Android 5.1.1 is prompting me for a System Update "you system can update to the latest version").
    But, it is also warning me, scarily, that "this update will erase ALL data.... please back up etc.etc."

However, under Backup and Reset I am getting the message above: "No account is currently storing backed up data"
    even though I have 2 accounts setup under Google.

How do I associate one of these accounts (ideally a different one than my phone is backing up to) for backup storage?

thanks
    Peter
    Does it really say "you system" as you quoted? If so, it's hard to believe it's genuine.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-01-2017 08:39 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! System updates should not wipe the device. Show us a screenshot of the message you're seeing: [GUIDE] How To Post Screenshots on Android Central
    02-01-2017 10:52 AM
    No my error. tha was a typo. When I pull down the icons at the top of the screen there is one item which reads: "YOUR system can update to the latest version"
    belodion likes this.
    02-01-2017 04:22 PM
    i only see that message about the Update when I pull down the icons from the top row (see attached screen shot) when I then click on it, I get that warning about erasing data.
    Attached Thumbnails No account is currently storing backed up data-screenshot_2017-02-01-17-18-57.png  
    02-01-2017 04:26 PM
    Long-press the notification -- it should give you an App Info option, and if you tap it, it will tell you what app is giving you the notification. If it's a system app, then it's legit.

To set a backup account, go to Settings>Backup & Reset>Backup Account, and select one of your Google accounts. Back in Settings>Backup & Reset, make sure Back Up My Data is turned on.
    02-01-2017 04:30 PM
    Backup Account under Backup & Reset is greyed out even though I have three Google Accounts under Accounts.
    Attached Thumbnails No account is currently storing backed up data-screenshot_2017-02-01-22-15-30.png  
    02-01-2017 09:17 PM
    [Screenshot showing personal details in above post has been removed.]
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-02-2017 04:50 AM
    Hmmm, Yes, good thinking. Posting full email accounts was not smart. thank you.
    here is a cleaned up version.
    Attached Thumbnails No account is currently storing backed up data-google-accounts.png  
    belodion likes this.
    02-02-2017 07:08 AM
    This shouldn't matter, but does anything change if you switch the Automatic Restore toggle on?

Also, check your Google dashboard (myaccount.google.com/dashboard), and look under Android. That will show you what is being backed up on the Google servers, and from which device. Does the Yoga show up there?
    02-02-2017 04:41 PM
    When I switch Automatic Restore ON nothing changes on that screen.
    But that Dashboard page is Interesting. (I had no idea it was even there.) I don't see any specific reference to "backups" but I do see that I have 5 android devices listed.
    Under Manage Active Devices only Two are showing. The Yoga is one of them and my My LG phone is a 2nd.

Under Devices In Play Store there are 5 devices listed. Those 2 plus three which are not currently being used - 1 old phone and 2 old tablets.

what do you think?
    02-02-2017 06:43 PM
    If you expand the Android category, you don't see something that says "Applications with backups on servers" associated with each device?

You might consider removing all Google accounts except for your primary one, then seeing if it lets you choose the account for backup.
    02-03-2017 02:07 AM
    If you expand the Android category, you don't see something that says "Applications with backups on servers" associated with each device?
    Thank you. (you are being very helpful and patient.) I see. Yes, I do see that listing of backups. The Nexus 7 tablet and my phone are all up to date, dated February 2, 2017. But the Yoga is way out of date. Some apps are showing a last backup date of mid Jan 2017, but Google for instance is showing a last backup of only Sept 7, 2016. Google Docs, mid Dec 2016
    Attached Thumbnails No account is currently storing backed up data-android-backup-registry.png  
    02-03-2017 08:27 AM
    Interesting. when I delete the 2nd google account off the Yoga (leaving only my main one) and when I then go back to Backup & Reset and Disable (turn off) the BACK UP MY DATA and then Renable it, the BACKUP ACCOUNT goes un-grey (is in active Black) but still reads "No Account is currently storing backed up data"

now there is not a whole lot on this tablet that needs saving . I might just do a manual app by app backup and then do a factory reset? but that seems drastic and inelegant.
    02-03-2017 08:31 AM
    Now that it's un-greyed, what happens if you tap that menu selection? Does it ask you to select your Google account?
    02-03-2017 11:18 AM
    Nothing. Taping on Backup Accounts doesn't do anything or offer any choices of accounts
    02-03-2017 01:57 PM
    Interesting...Following this thread for any solutions...been going trough this lately with a Samsung Tab A...contacted Samsung Uk and Samsung Us for any fixes and the only solution was to contact Google...Photos App is working properly and uploading backup....there is also the usual Whatsapp backup on Drive but the backup and restore never worked...Using Android 5.1.1...I got a feeling it's some kind of bug...
    02-03-2017 02:58 PM
    Pretty strange situation. What version of Google Play Services are you on? I'm on 10.2.97.
    02-04-2017 06:45 PM
    Ver. 10.0.84
    02-04-2017 07:47 PM
    See if you can update it to the most current version. Try going to this webpage on your desktop browser, click Installed, then select your device. If it's not greyed out, click it, then click Install. Wait until it gets upated on your device, then see if the problem persists.
    02-04-2017 09:02 PM
    alas, the Yoga IS greyed out. saying "your device already has this installed"
    02-04-2017 09:29 PM
    Weird. I suppose it's possible that older devices might not auto-update Google Play Services as quickly -- or perhaps older devices stay on older versions for longer.

Sorry, I'm stumped. How important is it for you to backup your settings and app data? For me, the most important data is safely saved to the Google cloud (like my Google Drive files, Google Keep notes, Google Contacts, Google Photos, etc.). That kind of data doesn't require the backup service to be on -- just the main Auto-Sync for your Google account.
    02-04-2017 10:38 PM
    I managed to fix the issue, by doing this:

1) (this step might not have helped, try steps 2+3 first, then this one and the second and third again if they alone didn't suffice) deleted all app-data of Google account manager and Google backup transport in settings-> apps
    2) I rebooted
    3) I removed updates of the Google play services app (the button where normal non-system apps can be uninstalled) in settings-> apps, waited a few minutes and updated the app again via the play store (several Google apps complained and demanded an update of the g services app, and also a notification appeared asking me to set up the backup account)
    belodion likes this.
    02-19-2017 07:08 PM
    I managed to fix the issue, by doing this:

1) (this step might not have helped, try steps 2+3 first, then this one and the second and third again if they alone didn't suffice) deleted all app-data of Google account manager and Google backup transport in settings-> apps
    2) I rebooted
    3) I removed updates of the Google play services app (the button where normal non-system apps can be uninstalled) in settings-> apps, waited a few minutes and updated the app again via the play store (several Google apps complained and demanded an update of the g services app, and also a notification appeared asking me to set up the backup account)
    No such luck - Google Play Services in the nougat update is the latest, so you can't roll back a version (as there is nothing to roll back to)
    03-11-2017 12:13 AM