Hi I have an unusual question. I have a Vodafone branded Samsung GS7 which hasn't received nougat yet. I am nearly a year into my contract and have heard I may be able to get an unlock code from my carrier for free. I may try this but the only real point in doing it is if I can get the update.

So the question is if I get my phone sim unlocked will it start to receive updates as though it is unbranded?
    02-03-2017 10:08 AM
    Welcome to Android Central.

Having it sim unlocked may allow you to use a different network.

It probably is a version with Vodafone firmware so updates will still only come through Vodafone.

You may have been lucky in getting a truly unlocked device. Carphone Warehouse supplied devices in the UK usually are.

Check your version number against the list in Sammobile - Firmware.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/.../SM-G930F/VOD/
    02-03-2017 10:23 AM
    Thanks for the response.

I do believe my handset is carrier locked as it was bought direct from Vodafone. Also my colleague has an unlocked handset which is seeing the update available. I could flash with odin after carrier unlocking just wanted to see if it was worth my time
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-03-2017 10:29 AM
    The build numbers match but the baseband is different? It's only one digit out
    02-03-2017 10:36 AM
    I have requested a free unlock code from my carrier.

When that comes through I will try the product code changer and try to update then
    02-03-2017 10:42 AM
    So it turns out my device is unlocked but running Vodafone branded firmware. If I root and change product code to btu then unroot and check for updates what will happen?
    02-03-2017 11:29 PM
    So it turns out my device is unlocked but running Vodafone branded firmware. If I root and change product code to btu then unroot and check for updates what will happen?
    I missed your last post.

So it's sim unlocked but still a Vodafone rom thing.
    I don't think what you say is possible but it's not my area. Standby for a thread link where the OP has greater knowledge.
    02-04-2017 01:47 PM
    Try here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=499009

or as it's been several hours you may have tried XDA Forums or Sammobile.
    02-04-2017 01:53 PM
    Thank you I have been looking into it. It seems as my fone is unlocked I can just flash it with btu firmware from another site I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say which. Once done apparently I have to clear cache and factory reset and voila I should be all set.

Will be trying it tomorrow hopefully
    02-04-2017 06:51 PM
    Just to close this off I got it working.

As long as your phone is unlocked you can flash btu firmware.

As you are changing the csc you will require a PIT file when flashing with Odin.

But got it working and I am now running btu nougat on my s7
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-07-2017 03:46 AM
    Just to close this off I got it working.

As long as your phone is unlocked you can flash btu firmware.

As you are changing the csc you will require a PIT file when flashing with Odin.

But got it working and I am now running btu nougat on my s7
    Glad it worked for you, I was worried it would not. I originally thought you might be confusing sim unlocked with carrier unlocked.

Someone here could have advised better if we knew your intentions.

Any issues let us know.

Thanks for registering.
    02-07-2017 11:22 AM
    Yh appreciate that. Carrier unlocked is what I meant meaning it can take any carrier sim.

It wasn't a difficult process but it is apparently different on the GS7 to older phones which is where I got stuck. I've got it working now and I've checked my new product code using phone info app is BTU.

I'd be quite happy to put together a guide if it would help anyone.
    02-08-2017 08:57 PM
    Yh appreciate that. Carrier unlocked is what I meant meaning it can take any carrier sim.

It wasn't a difficult process but it is apparently different on the GS7 to older phones which is where I got stuck. I've got it working now and I've checked my new product code using phone info app is BTU.

I'd be quite happy to put together a guide if it would help anyone.
    Yes that could be helpful, but I would put it to site ambassadors as I'm a regular member.

You could either say Hi in Introductions as mention it there
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/

or write a thread with the guide and a Moderator may move it to what they consider the best forum.

There is a Carrier Discussion - International - Vodafone section, though pretty quiet, so maybe post in the regular S7 Edge forum for now.

I don't know when Vodafone will be updating to Nougat.
    -------
    Late correction : the regular S7 wasn't it
    belodion likes this.
    02-09-2017 12:20 PM
    I think sfoLAX is right. By all means write the guide as a post in the S7e forum, then a team member will decide what to do with it.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-09-2017 01:15 PM
    I have written the guide but need to ask if I'm allowed to link external sites where I got the files from? I can omit them if necessary but it does help.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-11-2017 04:03 AM
    I have written the guide but need to ask if I'm allowed to link external sites where I got the files from? I can omit them if necessary but it does help.
    Okay, I'll pass your query to the Moderators.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-11-2017 05:55 AM