Samsung S4 Custom - newly purchased second hand phone

A

AC Question

Hi,
I'm travelling in Ecuador and lost my phone two days ago. Today I replaced it with another S4 from a tech shop. All seemed OK in the shop until I got back to the hostel and it couldn't find any available (or strong enough to connect to) Wifi networks, even though there were loads available and working on my Samsung tablet. After that, I started to notice other differences - it only charges to 84% max, default apps are different (I presumed as it's Ecuadorian?), but most of all, when I start it the screen says "Samsung" in smaller font than usual, with an open lock on it and then "custom" underneath.

I've tried restoring factory settings both using the restore option in settings and by holding down the power, home and volume up bottons - this results in the correct start up screen, but has done nothing to help the Wifi situation.

The vendor isn't willing to exchange or refund as I didn't notice it, or ask, in the shop.

Googling it, I see there is a Samsung Kies application that can restore it to a stock ROM. Considering I don't have a desktop/laptop to my disposal, is there anything else I can do?
Is Samsung Kies safe to download if I find someone with a laptop willing to help?
In the event of me convincing someone to use their laptop, what are the chances I'll be left with a paperweight if I try to restore the ROM myself (I only found out about it today!!)?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers