Is it safe to unplug phone from PC without Safely Removing

igotaphonetoo

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
There is no option to Safely Remove my phone when connected via USB to my computer. So what I do is if it's in File Transfer mode I just switch to Charge mode and then I unplug. I am not sure this is safe I am not sure if it's damaging my phone.

My phone also has battery problems now like it shuts down using google maps and snapchat and the battery suddenly drops. I am going to replace the battery now. I suspect me not safely removing may have ruined my battery, but I am not sure.

So is it safe to remove my phone like this? If it is not how can I safely remove my phone?

Thank you so much!!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's safe to unplug the phone. The Safely Remove option is for USB drives, but modern Android phones don't connect as USB Mass Storage any more -- it's MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), which doesn't require you to Eject first and then Safely Remove.

igotaphonetoo

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much for the response B Diddy!

Then I have another question is it necessary to untick the MTP box before unplugging?
I have 1 phone that can do this, but second one I cant, but it can move to charge only which is the same.

Or this does not matter?

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If running windows on your pc, just click the ^ icon lower right side to bring up all your icons... Select the one that looks like a USB flash drive and that will give you options to eject connected devices.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If running windows on your pc, just click the ^ icon lower right side to bring up all your icons... Select the one that looks like a USB flash drive and that will give you options to eject connected devices.

This will only happen if the device is connected as a USB Mass Storage device. I don't think MTP devices show up this way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87