SMS problems, please help!

Rikku Watro

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
About a month ago, my friend's SMS app keeps crashing whenever she deletes multiple messages. We tried uninstalling apps and even clearing system cache, but no matter what we do, the problem won't go away! Please help!

Rikku Watro

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Update: I finally saw the reason to the problem; one thread in the Messages app had too many messages. Whenever we try to delete messages in that thread, the app gets choppy and then crashes. However, when we delete messages in other threads, this doesn't happen.

Rikku Watro

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I mean, like, more than 1,000 messages in one thread. It just won't stop crashing! By the way, deleting multiple messages without searching for keywords doesn't crash it immediately. It crashes after deleting multiple messages a few times. However, we still couldn't find a way to stop the app from crashing!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Keeping thousands of messages in one contact thread or even multiple contacts' threads can certainly cause your SMS app to stutter! Is the app working a bit more smoothly now?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
But I'm always concerned about the safety of other SMS apps. They can read your messages and contacts, as well as send messages.

Keep in mind that with apps like Textra and Chomp SMS (great apps, by the way), thousands upon thousands of people use them - the devs are busy fixing bugs and/or improving their app's software; and won't have the time or the interest to read our messages. :p I've used both of those apps and have never has any issues. :)

Rikku Watro

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I've tried using Textra back in November 2014 but after a while I got concerned about its permissions (as I've said, SMS apps have permissions to read contacts and send messages, even if the devs are too busy to read them) so I didn't use texting apps besides Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, and the stock SMS app. I hope deleting the messages one by one eventually stops the crashing problem.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've tried using Textra back in November 2014 but after a while I got concerned about its permissions (as I've said, SMS apps have permissions to read contacts and send messages, even if the devs are too busy to read them) so I didn't use texting apps besides Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, and the stock SMS app. I hope deleting the messages one by one eventually stops the crashing problem.

That's fair! It's good to exercise caution, especially when downloading apps! If you need any further assistance, please let us know! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital