Why won't my BLU Life XL phone hold a battery charge for more than a few hours?

A

AC Question

BLU Life XL Phone fully charged - showing 100% - at 9am. No calls, one web search (less than one minute) and by 2:45 I only have 18% of the battery life left. Bought a new battery and the same things happens, EVERY day. Has anyone else had this problem and/or a solution for it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Okay. I have no idea why the Google app has caused you so much trouble. Battery drains of that kind are sometimes caused by abnormal location reporting, syncing, backups, wakelocks. Uninstalling the app is drastic, but you don't actually need it. However the cause of the trouble remains unidentified.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A screenshot of the battery usage stats.

You may find that something else takes over role of the Google app in causing drain. On occasions, when I have had excessive Android System drain, I've fixed that one way or another, only to find that Google Play Services takes its place as the drainer. I don't recall that I've ever had trouble from the Google app, but whatever app is showing as responsible, the root cause can be difficult to diagnose. Some app may be requesting abnormally frequent location reporting, for example, and Google Play Services might then oblige, that being one of its functions. Without actually being the root cause, Google Play Services would then show in the battery usage stats as apparently responsible for the drain.

I'll link this thread again to the team members, who may be able to make suggestions.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how you uninstalled the Google app....I have only the option to Force Stop.

ggparr

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Screenshot_2017-02-25-18-40-01.png

So I charged it back to 100% and after sending you the last response checked my battery usage - screen shot above. It says I'll be out of battery in three hours and I don't see anything running. I'm so at a loss at this point.....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you uninstalled the Google app, you most likely uninstalled all of its updates, reverting it back to the factory version. It's still worth leaving it that way for a day or two to see if the Google app keeps chewing up battery. If not, then it might be a glitch with the latest Google app update, which could be specific for your device.

Your battery stats are predicting about 3 hours because (a) you're not starting at 100%, and (b) the software predicts it based on recent usage. Since you were burning through battery quickly recently, it probably remembers that, and is estimating the same battery life this time. But hopefully, if uninstalling Google updates helped, it'll be wrong this time!:)

If the battery drain goes away after uninstalling the Google app updates, then I would send Google feedback about this (there should be a Help & Feedback option within the Google app's settings menu), and then wait for the next time the app updates. Since the system will constantly be telling you there's an update (since you reverted to the factory version), you'll need to go to the Google app's page on the Play Store and look specifically at the release date. Make a note of what it is now, and then wait for the next time it changes -- then update it and see if the problem comes back.

ggparr

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
I've kept an eye on the battery usage and it didn't run down as predicted. Hopefully uninstalling the Google app was the right thing and it will start behaving itself again :)

Sent a feedback message to Google last night about the insane app battery usage.

Thanks again for all of your help!