Hello everyone.

About one month ago I purchased a refurbished AA++ Samsung Note 5 on eBay.

Today I found out that the device has been rooted;I downloaded the Root Checker app and ran it, and it said the rooting was successfully installed on my phone.

So, after some googling I found out that I could wipe the root off my phone and set the firmware back to stock version by downloading an app called 'SuperSU' and run the unroot operation. After doing it, I rebooted my device but the Root Checker instead of saying that the root was successfully installed it says that the Root was not properly installed.

I believe the unrooting went wrong cause I can't use an application that doesn't run if the device is rooted, so I believe I am still no free from this curse.

Of course in the meantime I contacted the eBay profile I purchased the phone from and warned them that the product they sold me can be considered hijacked.

Is there a way I can fully unroot my device?

Thanks in advance for the help,
    kind regards

Elias
    02-20-2017 08:44 AM
    If it says root access is not properly installed on this device, then unrooting worked. However, the system has still been modified, you will have to flash stock firmware with Odin or SmartSwitch in order for your system to read Samsung official instead of modified.
    02-20-2017 08:52 AM
    If it says root access is not properly installed on this device, then unrooting worked. However, the system has still been modified, you will have to flash stock firmware with Odin or SmartSwitch in order for your system to read Samsung official instead of modified.
    hi and thank you for answering!
    I have a big trouble now! Idk why when I tried to reboot my device,my Samsung Note 5 got stuck into the loading "samsung" logo screen and I am unable to turn it off in any way!

I can't force reset it, and I can't turn it off. I tried holding home + power key and it doesn't work, I tried to hold home + power + volume up and down keys but nothing! do I have to let it turn off by itself due to battery or what?

Please help me!
    02-20-2017 08:57 AM
    Usually hold power and vol+ for about 8 seconds.
    02-20-2017 08:59 AM
    You can download the official firmware from sammobile.com
    02-20-2017 09:02 AM
    Usually hold power and vol+ for about 8 seconds.
    I tried power + vol- and it did reboot;
    altho I am having a problem.. the rebooting doesn't get past the samsung logo screen!

I am getting so nervous because of this phone, really >:|
    02-20-2017 09:03 AM
    Reboot it again, but this time when it reboots quickly hold vol- and power...it should get you into download mode. Download Odin3 and Samsung Universal USB drivers and your stock firmware from sammobile. Then load the firmware into Odin's AP/PDA slot (depending on which version you get) Then hit start and when it's finished it should boot up like it was brand new.
    02-20-2017 09:06 AM
    Welcome to the forums. You might want to check this guide out. It will help with using Odin: [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN with the New Interface
    02-20-2017 09:30 AM
    Reboot it again, but this time when it reboots quickly hold vol- and power...it should get you into download mode. Download Odin3 and Samsung Universal USB drivers and your stock firmware from sammobile. Then load the firmware into Odin's AP/PDA slot (depending on which version you get) Then hit start and when it's finished it should boot up like it was brand new.
    I'm going to lose my whole data, right?
    At least, will my device be unrooted when I will finish all of this?
    02-20-2017 09:40 AM
    02-20-2017 09:45 AM
    Good news, everyone!

I managed to restore my phone without any data loss!

Here's an HOW-TO about the steps I took:
    1. go to www.sammobile.com and search for your phone exact version's firmware
    2. register to the site (which is official Samsung) and start downloading the zip file
    3. download and install Samsung universal USB drivers and possibly uninstall any other version previously installed on your PC
    4. download Odin3
    5. take your phone and hold home + power + volume down keys simultaneously and don't release until a WARNING message pops up
    6. connect the phone to your PC through an original USB cable, then press volume up to enter 'Download Mode'
    7. open Odin3 and see if the software recognized the phone with a log message: 'Added!' and the first part of the bar shows a sign.
    If Odin3 doesn't recognize your phone, please go back to step 3 and repeat.
    8. extract the file from the zip folder you downloaded from sammobile.com, open Odin3 and insert it in the AP string
    9. press 'Start' after letting the AP string load (don't worry: it may take a few minutes) then wait for the restoration process to complete
    10. enjoy your phone completely unrooted and back to his original potential without any data change!

Hope this will be helpful to anyone who possibly has my same problem.
    02-23-2017 08:29 AM
    I'm surprised at the lack of data loss. Usually when I have done a ROM flash with Odin, it was like turning the device on for the first time.

However, it has been quite some time since I have used Odin, so maybe something has changed.
    02-23-2017 01:02 PM
    I'm surprised at the lack of data loss.
    Truth to be told, I'm surprised aswell. Not only because in this own thread they told me data would be wiped just like a factory reset, but because I also read documentations about that. But once i finished the stock firmware restore, my phone just turned on and it was the same exact way I left it: same os theme, same apps, contacts, everything. And root was completely gone: I made sure not only with Root Checker, but the applications theirselves I couldn't launch due to rooting now launch without any problem.
    02-23-2017 02:54 PM