Motorola Droid Mini shuts down frequently because it thinks the battery is dead when it is not

A

AC Question

I have been having increasing issues with battery drain. I had the battery replaced but issues persisted so i assumed i received a counterfeit crappy battery, so I had a cell repair shop order me a genuine OEM battery and install that. However, I still have issues so now doubting it is the battery itself. I did do a factory reset but to no avail. The battery level can vary but it can still have as much as 50% or more reserve remaining when it does a shutdown. I know this because when i connect to power after a shutdown, it displays a battery icon with a power level. So, in summary, somehow the phone THINKS the battery is fully drained and initiates a shutdown. Any help towards a resolution on this would be appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
After a shutdown, look in Settings/Battery. Tap the graph to get to the next graph. If you see a sudden drop to 0, that's a dendrite, and indicates a bad battery. (I find it hard - but not impossible - to believe that you got 2 bad batteries after the original one went bad, but almost anything is possible.)

See if the shop can put the phone on an external 3.8 Volt power supply to see if it dies with that too. If it does, it's a problem with the phone. If not, there may just be a complete lot of bad batteries.