How to view internal memory on Moto g4?

KJinx101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
So I have a Moto g4 and it's my first device with Marshmallow. Because of this, I'm not sure if the issue I'm having comes from the device it's self or android's OS update from last year. Either way here's my issue. Normally, when use a file manager such as File Manager HD or ES File Explorer, you see your "Internal Storage" and "SD card." [Since I had one]. So on my last phone (which had lollipop) and older devices, I was able to navigate through all my files, and install mods and textures for games, etc. Same for when I plugged into my PC; I saw internal storage and my SD card. But on this Moto g4, I only see my SD card.

Basically, I want to know if it's possible to make it to where I can view both the SD card and the internal storage without rooting my phone. Is there any command I can run through adb? Or anything that won't blatantly void a warranty or wipe my phone. (If not, that's okay too, but I'd like to know all my options).

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What's the exact path name of the SD card? Internal Storage is actually called sdcard0, so what it's showing as SD card might actually represent Internal Storage. A microSD card might show up as sdcard1 or ext-sdcard.

Also, did you format your SD card as Portable or Internal Storage?

KJinx101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
@B. Diddy
Normally the filepaths are under device\storage\sdcard1 or device\storage\emulated\sdcard0 (like on my last phone). On this one, the microSD is accessible from Device\sdcard, which is different. And when I go to Device\Storage\Emulated, the folder is empty. Also, I do have the SDcard formatted as internal storage, but I'm convinced that's not the issue because even when I remove it, on my PC, I see an empty folder for my phone altogether, and in file managers, there's nothing to access. I hope that clears up stuff a little more.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
When the SD card is formatted as internal storage, the phone references it as internal storage.
Because of this, only the phone can access anything on the card. Your PC will not see anything on the card because the PC needs the card to be formatted as "portable storage" or "external SD card" (whatever your phone calls it).

KJinx101

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
@ManiacJoe
Well, it's actually the opposite for me... like I can only access the SD Card. And before I reformatted it I still had the same issues. moto g issue pic 1.png
That's how it looks when I plug my phone into my PC. Now when I plug in my old phone I get the following moto g issue pic 2.png
So my problem is that I can't access the internal storage on g4. The sd card is working fine for me. I do, however, believe that I could access it if I would root it, but I'm trying to see if there are any alternatives first.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance