Can I upgrade my sim card to 16 gig?

A

AC Question

I bought this last year, it has a 8 gig sim card. I added a sd card for storage. The new software updates won't install because the sim card is almost full. One MetroPCS store says I can get a bigger sim the other says no and I will have to buy a new phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The SIM card does not control the storage. The SIM card is only to identify the device to the network as yours, it is not a storage location. The phone has a designed capacity, if it started as an 8GB phone that's all you get and it can't be expanded. Yes, an SD card can be added but it seems few apps are designed to be able to be moved to the SD card, and even then it could only be a portion of the app that gets moved.

Sadly, 8GB is NOTHING these days and you may be in the situation of having to buy a new device as advised by the sales rep.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

cjsab504

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I was planning to eventually add an SD card to my phone, which came with only 8 gigs, but now you've got me wondering if there's any point in doing so.
Are you saying that the 8 gigs I got with this phone is a hard limit on the amount of memory/storage the phone will accommodate? This seems rather odd to me. So what would be the point of adding an SD card?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You can add an SD card to be used for storage of media such as pictures or locally-stored videos but in a lot of cases apps won't move to the SD card. If the device is running Marshmallow or higher you might be able to utilize Adopatable Storage, though I think Samsung does not support that on their devices. Adoptable Storage allows the SD card to appear as part of the internal storage, effectively expanding that storage space.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX