I purchased a new, unlocked LG G5 and have AT&T service. Occasionally the phone stops receiving messages, and 72 hours (exactly) all my missed message come to the phone. I can send messages out during this time. And I can view messages on AT&T message site. What causes phone to stop receiving messages? And what happens after 72 hours that they come in?
    03-11-2017 08:59 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Hmm, this is odd, indeed. How old is your SIM card? Have you spoken to AT&T about this? Perhaps it's something with the bands of the phone - you said you bought it unlocked? Does it support all of the bands in your area/network?
    03-11-2017 09:15 PM
    I have had this phone since November 2016, and I have been talking to AT&T multiple times. I've changed out the SIM. As far as I know I have all of the bands, the Android 6.0.1, I have 4GLTE, can make calls, using data, etc. It's been a long road. For awhile it was only one friend who would break my phone if they sent an emoji in their text. It was every few weeks, but this past week, messaging came back and then stopped again after only one day. Tomorrow should be 72 hours; curious if it starts right back up again. I am using default messaging app (yellow background, white callout box) and default contacts (white background with green person icon). AT&T isn't terribly interested in helping because I didn't buy my phone from them (for $200 more than what I paid). Many/Most argue that I have already wasted my $200 fighting this phone. Thank you
    03-11-2017 09:41 PM
    I have had this phone since November 2016, and I have been talking to AT&T multiple times. I've changed out the SIM. As far as I know I have all of the bands, the Android 6.0.1, I have 4GLTE, can make calls, using data, etc. It's been a long road. For awhile it was only one friend who would break my phone if they sent an emoji in their text. It was every few weeks, but this past week, messaging came back and then stopped again after only one day. Tomorrow should be 72 hours; curious if it starts right back up again. I am using default messaging app (yellow background, white callout box) and default contacts (white background with green person icon). AT&T isn't terribly interested in helping because I didn't buy my phone from them (for $200 more than what I paid). Many/Most argue that I have already wasted my $200 fighting this phone. Thank you
    I'm so sorry. That sounds so frustrating. Just to be clear: this issue has only been happening with this specific phone, correct? Have you tried doing a factory reset (if all of your photos/important information is backed up)? I know you said you got this phone unlocked, but when is your contract up with AT&T?
    03-12-2017 02:21 PM
    I dont think I have any contract requirement with AT&T; been with them a long time, no free phones, or NEXT contracts. No, I have not done factory reset. They have also suggested. Just thought the 72-hour window is more of a network-related issue, not so much the phone. I did get all of my texts today; exactly 72 hours after text receiving stopped. Seems to be functioning as expected for now, i.e., send and receive to phone. I do have my addresses synced to ATT address book, which is sunsetting this month. Was wondering if that is glitchy somehow. It is frustrating. Thought it had to do with ATT blocking my IMEI since its not one of theirs. Thanks for you feedback. Im just a phone user, not Android savvy!
    03-12-2017 02:50 PM
    I dont think I have any contract requirement with AT&T; been with them a long time, no free phones, or NEXT contracts. No, I have not done factory reset. They have also suggested. Just thought the 72-hour window is more of a network-related issue, not so much the phone. I did get all of my texts today; exactly 72 hours after text receiving stopped. Seems to be functioning as expected for now, i.e., send and receive to phone. I do have my addresses synced to ATT address book, which is sunsetting this month. Was wondering if that is glitchy somehow. It is frustrating. Thought it had to do with ATT blocking my IMEI since its not one of theirs. Thanks for you feedback. Im just a phone user, not Android savvy!
    Yeah, I certainly see what you're saying: the issue indeed sounds as if it's network-related.

My advice to you is this: maybe download a third-party messaging app or even something like WhatsApp and see if you still experience any issues. I get that doing a factory reset is a chore, so perhaps only save that 'til the end, if you're desperate.

But I don't think AT&T is allowed to block anything to do with your phone - just because it is not "theirs," per se.

What have they recommended to you - just to do a factory reset?
    03-12-2017 03:14 PM
    Thanks so much. I dont know anything about 3rd party message apps. Ill try your suggestion. Perhaps factory reset when I have a lot of extra time, which is not likely in near future. I really like my LG, had the G3 prior. So, hoping I can work through the kinks. Have a good day.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-12-2017 03:26 PM
    Thanks so much. I dont know anything about 3rd party message apps. Ill try your suggestion. Perhaps factory reset when I have a lot of extra time, which is not likely in near future. I really like my LG, had the G3 prior. So, hoping I can work through the kinks. Have a good day.
    No problem at all! Third-party message apps are just a fancier version of SMS texting. You can customise your message bubbles, backgrounds, etc with them! And sometimes, switching from the SMS app that came with your phone to a third-party messaging app can solve some bugs or glitches.

When you're looking at potential messaging apps to download, look out for ones like Textra and Chomp SMS or their variants. Also check to see how many downloads a specific app has had - it'll show you that when you click on the app in question in the Google Play Store. If an app has had over a million downloads, then it's a good bet that it's been a successful app for quite a few people. Read through the app descriptions - some of these messaging apps do a lot! Textra has really good app developer support, and are quick to fix bugs.

Also, I loved my G3! It was a great phone. Hope you find something that can help you! If you ever need anything else, feel free to come on back! You have a good day, too!
    03-12-2017 06:22 PM