Keyboard just quit working

A

AC Question

I am running Android 5.1.1 on an LG G Flex 2 on the MetroPCS network. In the last few days the keyboard has quit functioning. It doesn't seem to matter if it's the Google GBoard or the LG keyboard, i even downloaded the SwiftKey keyboard and that didn't seem to help. I have cleared the cache and rebooted my phone several times and while that seems to work, the minute the phone goes to sleep it quits working, everytime. I have also uninstalled all the updates for the GBoard (google keyboard) and that didn't seem to make much of a difference. I have done all that i can think of short of factory resetting my phone. This started 4 days ago. Not sure what else i can do, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What does it do when it quits working? Do you get an error message, or does the keyboard show up but not type anything? Or does the keyboard just not appear?

Den3000

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
OP here: No Error message at all. That would be helpful. In Facebook i can get the keyboard to appear sometimes but it won't type anything. Most of the time though it just won't show up without a restart, and then after it goes to sleep the first time...even if just for a split second...it quits working again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Updates to the Android System Webview app can sometimes do weird things to keyboard apps. Go to Settings>Apps, select Android System Webview, and Uninstall (which will only uninstall updates). Now see if it happens again.

Den3000

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
It did for a minute even after putting it to sleep and waking it up. After going into Hangouts, however, it started not working right. Even switching it back to the LG keyboard it wouldn't work. :-/