Arrggghh WHAT are they thinking about?

A

AC Question

I'm venting, because these bugs are ticking me off.

This is ridiculous, you would THINK that as an O/S matures it would get BETTER? Nah!

My new Samsung J7 O/S 6.0.1 is frustrating.

First up is trying to connect to a PC. The damn O/S asks to allow the connection upwards of 20 (that's TWENTY) times before it connects. WHAT? This is my 5th Android phone and O/S and the only one that made me STRUGGLE to connect to my Windows computer. Remember that's Friggin TWENTY times! There's no excuse for this. How to fix it?

Next, I CANNOT delete files unless my phone is connected to a PC? HUH for what, SECURITY? This is plumb idiotic. If I'm at Disney and my memory card gets full I have to drive 200 miles home to delete files? Format the 128 gig card? Buy another card? REALLY? For security? WHO owns the phone, me or the O/S.

It's no surprise the O/S is a moving target of pre-installed apps, here today, gone tomorrow and then TRY and find something compatible that works on the current OS. Add to that the UI is basically thrown out for a new one with every new O/S.

OK, I get it, some phone companies add or delete core applets, if I can't delete the useless WEATHER app WHY are phone companies allowed to change the core delivered suite of apps?

Lastly, little bugs like incoming message audio truncated or non existent, loss of configurable drop down settings, internal radio support (without data connection needed internet FM rots for local stations) GONE, MHL GONE, Inability to save desktop personality, and saved web links.

Oh, and a BIGGIE NIT !!! In mobile mode I cannot gesture expand or zoom a page, on many sites but switching to desktop site I can? Isn't that reverse logic?

Are Programmers with degrees or high school students writing this crap.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry you're so frustrated. First, try wiping the cache partition, which can be helpful after any major system update: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30305

If the problems persist, then here are some thoughts:

First up is trying to connect to a PC. The damn O/S asks to allow the connection upwards of 20 (that's TWENTY) times before it connects. WHAT? This is my 5th Android phone and O/S and the only one that made me STRUGGLE to connect to my Windows computer. Remember that's Friggin TWENTY times! There's no excuse for this. How to fix it?
This sounds like it could be more of a hardware issue, like a loose connection or a faulty cable/port. Have you already tried a different cable or different USB port on the computer? Also, check the phone's microUSB port to make sure there isn't any debris in there.

Next, I CANNOT delete files unless my phone is connected to a PC? HUH for what, SECURITY? This is plumb idiotic. If I'm at Disney and my memory card gets full I have to drive 200 miles home to delete files? Format the 128 gig card? Buy another card? REALLY? For security? WHO owns the phone, me or the O/S.
This is also not standard. How are you trying to delete files on the phone -- using My Files? What directory are the files in? Are they on Internal Storage or the SD card? If it's the SD card, you might need to go to Settings>App Manager, select the file manager app you're using, and make sure it has permission to access the SD card.

OK, I get it, some phone companies add or delete core applets, if I can't delete the useless WEATHER app WHY are phone companies allowed to change the core delivered suite of apps?
Preinstalled apps can't be uninstalled, but they can often be Disabled in the App Manager. Samsung phones can use Package Disabler Pro for those apps that don't have a Disable option. Or you can root the phone and uninstall the bloatware, but be careful about what you get rid of, since some of those apps might actually be important for other apps to function correctly. The whole bloatware issue is one of the main reasons I stick with Nexus/Pixel devices.

Lastly, little bugs like incoming message audio truncated or non existent, loss of configurable drop down settings, internal radio support (without data connection needed internet FM rots for local stations) GONE, MHL GONE, Inability to save desktop personality, and saved web links.
What kind of message audio? Are you talking about voicemail, or WeChat audio messages, or something similar?
Which dropdown settings are you talking about -- the Quick Settings?
FM radio has pretty much fallen by the wayside for all manufacturers. There are even countries that are trying to get rid of FM radio altogether: Norway Becoming First Country To Eliminate FM Radio : The Two-Way : NPR
I agree that it's a shame fewer manufacturers are supporting MHL or SlimPort. They expect people to use wireless connections, but that's not always feasible for everyone.
There are 3rd party launchers like Nova that let you save your setup, so that's a workaround.
Are you talking about saving a Bookmark on the home page? You can do that with Chrome, but not sure about the stock Samsung browser.

Oh, and a BIGGIE NIT !!! In mobile mode I cannot gesture expand or zoom a page, on many sites but switching to desktop site I can? Isn't that reverse logic?
This is related more to the website than the phone or Android.

I know you just wanted to vent, but hopefully this was somewhat helpful.:)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry that it's not working out. Unfortunately, you're not using a mature OS. You're using Samsung's modifications of a maturing OS on a midrange device. As for the "who owns the phone" - you've purchased the hardware and it comes with a software license that allows you to use their software within their parameters.

gnappi

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm the OP FYI

"This sounds like it could be more of a hardware issue, like a loose connection or a faulty cable/port. Have you already tried a different cable or different USB port on the computer? Also, check the phone's microUSB port to make sure there isn't any debris in there."

Nope all cables work with my other phones on all my machines.

"This is also not standard. How are you trying to delete files on the phone -- using My Files? What directory are the files in? Are they on Internal Storage or the SD card? If it's the SD card, you might need to go to Settings>App Manager, select the file manager app you're using, and make sure it has permission to access the SD card."

Nope, all the permissions are set for storage access "On" I can only delete files when connected to my PC.

"What kind of message audio? Are you talking about voicemail, or WeChat audio messages, or something similar?
Which dropdown settings are you talking about -- the Quick Settings?"

When an incoming text comes in I have assigned a sound that plays all, some or none of it.

Preinstalled apps can't be uninstalled, but they can often be Disabled in the App Manager.

Yeah, and they respawn almost immediately.

IIRC in LINUX when to installed, upgraded or removed a package it warned you what other packages may be affected, and you took it on the chin if you screwed up, pretty logical, but some "you gotta protect the user from themselves" distros started enforcing user file access permissions but it was easy to SU and delete at least your OWN files.

"FM radio has pretty much fallen by the wayside for all manufacturers. There are even countries that are trying to get rid of FM radio altogether:"

Sure it uses your wireless time up:

Pandora 17MB/hour
TuneIn Radio 23MB/hour
iTunes Radio 29MB/hour
Spotify 43MB/hour

Why give a radio free when they can force you to use your data bucket?

I have yet to find a radio app that gives me ALL of my local stations for useful things like traffic, storm watches etc.

This is related more to the website than the phone or Android.

I don't think so, I have yet to see a www site that supports gesture zoom until I switch to "desktop site" This is not new.

Use Apps instead? OK beside the fact that there's little I can actually use on them for in web browsing, they're skinnied down to make the web easier to SEE that's all. Doesn't anyone look at the PERMISSIONS they "need" Access to the phone, storage, contact list, photos basically your whole life? all a bit trusting to let a mundane app like a sticky pad to allow?

"As for the "who owns the phone" - you've purchased the hardware and it comes with a software license that allows you to use their software within their parameters."

Hang on, this is unacceptable from any logical viewpoint other than the cat who wrote the code that made it so.

"You're using Samsung's modifications of a maturing OS on a midrange device. "

Sorry, I BELIEVE in open source, trust me but allowing the core intent of the OS to be diddled with is lunacy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope all cables work with my other phones on all my machines.
The phone's microUSB port might be faulty, then. Did this problem start happening after a system update, or does it seem unrelated?

Nope, all the permissions are set for storage access "On" I can only delete files when connected to my PC.
Have you tried other file manager apps, or only My Files?

When an incoming text comes in I have assigned a sound that plays all, some or none of it.
Are the tones you're using the preinstalled ones, or custom ones that you copied to the phone? If the latter, are they saved to the Notifications directory on Internal Storage, or on an SD card? A faulty SD card could be responsible.

Why give a radio free when they can force you to use your data bucket?
I think there's also very little demand for an actual FM radio in phones these days. Considering that manufacturers are trying to cram more and more hardware into their devices, I'm sure they're looking for anything they can eliminate (like your headphone jack).

I don't think so, I have yet to see a www site that supports gesture zoom until I switch to "desktop site" This is not new.
Sorry, what I meant was that this is a function of how a mobile site is displayed. Chrome has a setting to increase text scaling, if needed, and if you want to zoom in on an image, you can long-press it, show it separately in a new tab, then zoom there. Takes a couple of steps more, but still pretty quick.

Sorry, I BELIEVE in open source, trust me but allowing the core intent of the OS to be diddled with is lunacy.
But open source also means that the developer can do what they want with it. Just look at what Amazon did with their Kindles -- a huge fork for Android. If you object to manufacturers or carriers fiddling around excessively with how Android works, then I'd reiterate that Nexus/Pixel devices would be the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis