I have a number of document files, mainly pdf's, that refer to several times a day. So I I want to leave them on some of my home screens, rather than going through a bunch of steps to get to them. On my old Android 5.1 tablet I succeeded in putting them on the screen using ES File Explorer. I could single-tap the file, and a dialog would pop-up asking what app to use to open the file.

Now I have a new Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet with Android 6. and Nova Launcher. I have again put the files on the desktop with ES File Explorer, and I also installed Nova Launcher so that I can give them better icons. And when I single-tap on the files, I get the same pop-up dialog as I did on my old tablet. But when I select an app, it does not open the file.

I have tried this with five different apps that read pdf's, and also with additional apps on other types of document files. Some of the apps open with no input, just an open reader but nothing to read. But in most of them respond with some version of a file not found error. Aldiko says that I have attempted to "invoke method boolean java.lang.string.equals" on a null object. Acrobat says "The file could not be accessed. Check the location or the network and try again"

Does anyone know how I can regain the ability to open files on the desktop?
    03-20-2017 01:02 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What if you try a different file manager app, like Total Commander, to create the file shortcut?
    03-20-2017 01:52 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What if you try a different file manager app, like Total Commander, to create the file shortcut?
    Thanks, B Diddly! That was an amazingly quick and easy fix.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-20-2017 02:58 PM
    Glad to hear it! Total Commander is one of my indispensable apps, partly because it's free and ad-free.
    03-20-2017 03:26 PM