Why isn't gmail syncing all my contacts?

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I have had this issue for a year now and it's really getting old. Started with the s4 and have always had it with the s7.

Gmail will not sync all my contacts. I have tried removing my account and then adding it back. Gmail Sync still shows the date I added my account, 3/15/17. There are no errors on the page like I had a year ago. So, at least that is gone now.

I have tried this.......Settings>Apps>three vertical dots>show system>contact storage>storage>clear data and clear cache. Restart phone and no luck

I cleared all data and cache with anything "Contacts".

Force syncing does not work either.

Any Suggestions?

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
no, everything I have ever updated with contacts should have synced with Gmail. I use contacts + and deleted everything from it and started a new. currently, samsung contacts and contacts+ show the same.

How would I know if I merged a contact?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Here's a somewhat laborious suggestion that involves wiping your phone's Contacts and then restoring them from a clean backup from your online Google account.
-- Go into your phone's Settings >> Accounts >> Google >> 'your email account' and temporarily disable the 'Sync Contacts' option.
-- Using a computer browser go to https://contacts.google.com, log into your account and clean up, resort, edit, any contact entries. You want your online Google account to be your primary and complete Contacts source, with your phone's Contacts app being your remote access to it. If there are any random contacts that are saved only on your phone you need to get those transferred over (either by manually entering them into https://contacts.google.com or using the Contacts app 'export' feature to save them to a file that you then manually import into your online account).
-- Once you've checked (and double-checked) that your online account is sorted out and now contains all the contact entries you have, you need to make a backup file that you can use to import into your phone. Go to https://takeout.google.com to access Google Takeout. Deselect everything except 'Contacts' and it will make a backup of your Contacts list (leave it as vcf file format). The result will be a .zip file (if you left the default as is) so you might find it easier to open the zip on your computer to extract just the actual vcf file you need. Copy that vcf file to your phone, one easy way is as an attachment to an email to yourself (it's just text so even if you have hundreds of contract entries the resulting file will be well under even 1 MB.)
-- Back on your phone, delete all the contact entries in the Contact app. Now go into the menu option of the Contact app and use the 'Import' selection to import that vcf file. At this point the Contacts app should be showing all the same entries as what's in your master, online Google account contacts.
-- Now go back to the Settings >> Accounts >> Google >> 'your email account' and re-enable that 'Sync Contacts' option. Wait few minutes to let it settle in and then try to make a couple of 'test' contact entries, one on your phone and one through your computer browser to see if they both are syncing properly. (fingers crossed)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, sfoLAX, there's no "merge" or "change type", so you have to do it using an external file. I've been saying this since Gingerbread, and they still haven't added one little "change type" button.

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
No luck. I followed your directions with no luck. I deleted all contacts and imported my vcf with no issue. Created test contacts on my phone and computer but never synced.

I removed my google account and added it again. Same thing happened where it only syncs half of the contacts. So the Sync still does not work.

and why it only pulls in the contacts it does, not sure. Looks to be completely random, 126 out of 182 contacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908