Can an Android Tablet accept an External USB WiFi Adapter ?

A

AC Question

I have an LG tablet running an Android O/S 5.01.

I want to add an external (USB w/Micro USB) WiFi antenna adapter.

I want to be able to receive a WiFi signal that is just out of range right now.

Also, this is a Public WiFi that I will not be able to access the Admin function to register a SSID.

Is any of this possible on an Android device ??

TIA

LabRat0116

May 7, 2014
Visit site
That sounds a bit shifty....
You want to hook into someone's WiFi and use their data, presumably without their knowledge and approval?
Yes, a PUBLIC WiFi hotspot. LogIn as GUEST. What's wrong with that ?

I work in a large hospital that has Public WiFi.

The signal does NOT reach back to our breakroom.

As I said above, the Public WiFi signal is just out of range for our devices to pick up. Maybe 75-100 feet away we get a signal.

We want to find a way to extend our devices receiving capabilities via an antenna or extender of some sort.

I'm simply asking if this is even possible. If so, HOW do we do this ?

Thank you.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
My apologies, we often get ppl here wanting to hack into neighbours WiFi without permission, so I've grown a bit cynical..
You used to be able to get amplifiers for mobile signals, so perhaps you can fit WiFi also... Hopefully some clever person will pop in with helpful info... Apologies one again..

LabRat0116

May 7, 2014
Visit site
My apologies, we often get ppl here wanting to hack into neighbours WiFi without permission, so I've grown a bit cynical..
You used to be able to get amplifiers for mobile signals, so perhaps you can fit WiFi also... Hopefully some clever person will pop in with helpful info... Apologies one again..
No problem. I understand.

We have no Admin Access to this Public router.

Is there a way to ADD and External antenna/adapter to Android devices via the Micro-USB port ??

Dirk McGurk

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
BUMP THIS POST!

I have the same exact issue. At Home I have the Triple Play so I get access to Optimum WIFI free. At work I use to be able to connect but it was a crap signal with both phone an my laptop. For my laptop I got a USB Wifi adapter, works great.

With the cell im looking for one still, so far nothing....

Basically we are looking for this but it will work for a cell the way it works for a laptop
TP-Link N300 Wireless High Gain USB Adapter (TL-WN822N)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00416Q5K...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6128357

If they make this for a Cell Let us know !!! Please prob is no support for cell..

ANYONE HELP !:D:D:D:D

Acb13adm

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
I was a Systems engineer / admin for many years. Your best option for many reasons, particularly in a hospital, is to contact then network admin (presumably hospital IT) & ask if you can donate an old wifi router to use as a repeater to the staff break room, and let them bridge it in. Most monkeys routers have this capability built in, and you can get one cheap ($30 Amazon, $15 or less ebay, or someone may have one after they upgraded (free).
This often works, because it costs the administration nothing, and they get to secure the router as policy requires.
It's also the best way to keep you out of trouble, either with admin, or legally.

RonanTetsu

May 20, 2019
Visit site
No problem. I understand.

We have no Admin Access to this Public router.

Is there a way to ADD and External antenna/adapter to Android devices via the Micro-USB port ??

No. Not unless you have a device with unlocker bootloader; with magisk root, and TWRP so you can flash a kernel that has support for network cards. (Wireless firmware magisk module).. It would just be easier to have any adequate windows 10 pc, with a network adapter of your choice (and create hotspot on it to share to other devices..)

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
No. Not unless you have a device with unlocker bootloader; with magisk root, and TWRP so you can flash a kernel that has support for network cards. (Wireless firmware magisk module).. It would just be easier to have any adequate windows 10 pc, with a network adapter of your choice (and create hotspot on it to share to other devices..)
Congrats, your first post attempts to answer an over 2 year old issue.
Poorly at that. And not exactly correct either.

tjamesturner

Jun 18, 2019
Visit site
another option is to use a micro-usb-to-ethernet adapter to connect the tablet to a wifi router in client mode over ethernet.

side notes:
it's theoretically possible to connect a usb wifi adapter to a tablet using an otg micro usb to usb adapter, but i've never seen it work in practice due to typical android tablet driver configuration.

they sell compact dedicated wifi-to-ethernet adaptors for ethernet-only devices, but they're more expensive and tend to have less range than a cheap router that supports client mode. that said, they're easier to setup since they're a 1-trick-pony.

if you have a chromecast ultra lying around, you could try to use it's power supply as an ethernet adaptor first just to see if your tablet supports usb otg. if that works you can find cheaper micro-usb-to-ethernet options on amazon.

further reading:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless