Even though I have had this phone several years, I like it but have a lot of info on it I would not want anyone not authorized to access. What are the android security options and which is most recommended? --Dennis
    03-26-2017 12:19 PM
    Even though I have had this phone several years, I like it but have a lot of info on it I would not want anyone not authorized to access. What are the android security options and which is most recommended? --Dennis
    Regarding 'authorized to access...' if you're referring physical access than be sure to use the 'Password' option to set up a lock screen. If you're in situations where your S3 could get taken from you (i.e. you're going through a law enforcement check point) it might be best to remove any microSD card and leave it at home. And if you think there's a chance you'll be going into a situation where your phone will be out of your possession you might also want to think about encrypting your internal storage, but do note that encryption does add a little overhead to your phone's system resources and as far as hardware specs the S3 is in the lower end of phones that will run with acceptable usability speeds using encrypted storage ('acceptable' of course being a very subjective aspect).
    But if by 'authorized' in a more software way, your S3 is probably going to be running 4.4.x (KitKat) or below, unless you've rooted it and are using a third-party ROM. KitKat still has a 20% market share as far as Android versions (as I write this) so there are still a substantial number of users out there using older hardware https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html
    But almost all the carriers stopped supporting KitKat years ago now so there's very little consumers can do as far as securing the OS itself (again, unless rooted). You might want to avoid using the default browser, texting, and email apps and use more up-to-date options from the Play Store, you'll get better online security (third-party app developers still support for KitKat so apps generally continue to stay current) and more often than not more functionality (the default apps are fine for basic needs but not necessarily for more involved tasks).
    Lastly, you also referred to ...'but have a lot of info on it...' Hopefully you have complete backups of all your personal data. If you don't want to use automated cloud-based solutions than it's really important you have some kind of backup solution implemented, presumably to a local computer. Do not rely on your S3 as the sole source for any data you consider to be irreplaceable. Every help forum is full of postings made by people who lost important photos and contacts or want to retrieve deleted emails or text messages because they don't have any kind of backups. If you don't already have a backup plan you need to work on that now, it won't help to do it after you've lost something (or everything which in the case of a S3 it's a five year old model so there's a higher likelihood of some vital hardware component failing).
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    03-26-2017 02:38 PM
    Keep in mind, there are some inexpensive phones that would do nicely.

Transfer over and use that instead, running MM, even used but quality. Amazon has heap BLU for it's Prime members for $109 and under.

Yours can serve as backup.

SD cards fail. Disk drives fail. An online subscription like Google Drive not likely. And cheap. Works best with good brand and upload speeds so never noticed backup.

A pin password 6+ numbers or A/N is good. Fingerprint handy but has improved 2016 or later hardware support.

Two backup sets as minimum. Even offsite. Theft, fire, accidents.

Encryption has gotten a lot of intention. Apple is begining rollout of it's new encrypted file system this month starting with mobile devices with AFP (Apple File System).
    03-26-2017 03:05 PM