Settings

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
I have a no name tablet that came preinstalled with malware and in removing it i accidentally deleted the settings apk,(have root) but idk how to get it back cause i have no back up and the device dorsnt have roms or anything like that... i think it was on 4.4.2 and i have root. Really need to get it back, a FDR won't put it back correct? Its not mine so unless a fdr will forsure fix it then id like to know :)

jeffhaskins

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a no name tablet that came preinstalled with malware and in removing it i accidentally deleted the settings apk,(have root) but idk how to get it back cause i have no back up and the device dorsnt have roms or anything like that... i think it was on 4.4.2 and i have root. Really need to get it back, a FDR won't put it back correct? Its not mine so unless a fdr will forsure fix it then id like to know :)
Need a little more info, what is the model number? Do you know the build number? A lot of 4.4.2 devices have KOT49H build number. Do you know anyone else with the device? If you do you can pull the settings app with adb and push it to the other one.

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
Linsay 7-xhd, sadly i di not know anyone else with the device D:. I have the setting storage apk still installed if this helps, it says settings storage 4.4.2-20150627 in titanium backup

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
Need a little more info, what is the model number? Do you know the build number? A lot of 4.4.2 devices have KOT49H build number. Do you know anyone else with the device? If you do you can pull the settings app with adb and push it to the other one.
Can apks be pulled from the firmware of a device the files in a .img, its the stock firmware from the linsay f10xhd, i believe they run the exact same version of android and its just like the 10 inch version

jeffhaskins

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Can apks be pulled from the firmware of a device the files in a .img, its the stock firmware from the linsay f10xhd, i believe they run the exact same version of android and its just like the 10 inch version
Possibly, the only possible issue might be the app's signature. I would use Assayed's image kitchen. It will completely disassemble the system.img so that you can grab a copy of the Settings app. Hopefully it will work for you. What method did you use to delete it, just curious? If you used an app like Jumobile System App Remover, it has a recycle bin.

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know if id be able to extract it from a different 4.4.2 rom And if there is one that would be more likely to work? If yoy have a link for link ud think would work or could find ud appreciate it

Last edited:

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Linsay 7-xhd, sadly i di not know anyone else with the device D:. I have the setting storage apk still installed if this helps, it says settings storage 4.4.2-20150627 in titanium backup

If your Titanium Backup has Settings and Settings Storage you should just be able to restore your Settings from there.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
And a fdr will not help right since the app is removed from the system partition?

A Factory Reset only wipes the /data partition (where your personal files, settings, and user installed apps are stored), it does nothing to any of the system-related partitions. It does not restore any apps, it does not alter the currently running Android OS, all it does is wipe the /data partition. For the most part a 'Factory Reset' is a misnomer, if it was renamed to be something more like 'Data Reset' there might be a lot less confusion about its purpose. In a sense it does return an Android device back to the state it was in when it left the 'factory' - where the OS remains as is and the data partition blank - but from a user standpoint there's just too much individual interpretation to the term 'Factory Reset'.

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
A Factory Reset only wipes the /data partition (where your personal files, settings, and user installed apps are stored), it does nothing to any of the system-related partitions. It does not restore any apps, it does not alter the currently running Android OS, all it does is wipe the /data partition. For the most part a 'Factory Reset' is a misnomer, if it was renamed to be something more like 'Data Reset' there might be a lot less confusion about its purpose. In a sense it does return an Android device back to the state it was in when it left the 'factory' - where the OS remains as is and the data partition blank - but from a user standpoint there's just too much individual interpretation to the term 'Factory Reset'.
Yea that's what i thought. What was your first post about lmao, but yea i have no settings app to restore and with out the settings the tablet is borderline useless. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? To sum it up i have no settings it was uninstalled(i clicked wrong app) i have no back up cause it was not the app i was intending to uninstall, there are no roms for my phone, i have root and need to get the settings app back, tablet is on android 4.4.2. Anyone wanna help feel free to join lol :)

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Odd that Titanium Backup did save 'Settings Storage' but not 'Settings' itself.
This is something of sticky issue as it's a lot harder to find stock ROMs for a lot of off-brand devices. Hope you find a solution (and when you do and your tablet is running smoothly again be sure to do a full TB backup).

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
Odd that Titanium Backup did save 'Settings Storage' but not 'Settings' itself.
This is something of sticky issue as it's a lot harder to find stock ROMs for a lot of off-brand devices. Hope you find a solution (and when you do and your tablet is running smoothly again be sure to do a full TB backup).
the settings & settings storage are 2 seperate apps

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
The stock rom isn't available for this tablet anywhere i can find. Does anyone know if the settings app from a different 4.4.2 rom will work and if there are conditions that need to be met for it work

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
the settings & settings storage are 2 seperate apps

Yes but it's odd that Titanium Backup did save one of them in the backup archive but not the other, that's not a typical full backup scenario. Usually one has to intentionally delete a specific app afterwards.

Anyway, here's an experiment you might want to take on (and if not that's completely understandable). I dug into my Galaxy S3, running 4.4.2 (rooted but running stock ROM) and copied out the Settings apk. Compressed it into a zip file (about 24MB) and uploaded it to a file sharing site, here:
http://ge.tt/6k8pzUj2
I have no idea at all if this Settings app will run on your tablet, ROMs being very, very specific and tied to the exact device model is one thing, but I don't know if system apps like this one are also device specific or just OS version specific. The name of the apk itself is 'SecSettings.apk' and in my S3 it's located in /system/priv-app but I don't know if that exact directory also applies to your tablet (file system structure might not be the same). If you take a look at the Current version info for the 'Settings Storage' in your Titanium Backup it will show what directory it come from, the Settings apk should go in that same directory. Also, (if applicable) I'd recommend you boot up into Recovery Mode and wipe the dalvik cache so the apps get 'optimized' for the (pre-ART) dalvik.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey