Is my way of explaining how a phone's cores and processors correct? Please weigh in.

A

AC Question

Recently I found myself needing to explain how a computer (or smartphone)'s chipset performance is determined by the clock speeds of the CPUs, as well as the total number of cores available to the chipset for performing tasks. I compared each of the cores to an drinking glass that each have a hole drilled in the bottom. Of course we know that when water is poured into two glasses that can hold the same volume but have different sized holes, each will drain at different rate. Otherwise is there any truth in comparing the diameter of the hole to the processing speed of a core?

I'm basically 100% sure I oversimplified the relationship, if not outright misleading him on how a given smartphone's chipset clockspeeds and core layouts are better, worse, more/less efficient, longer/shorter expected mileage, and so forth. I was trying to explain that tasks are assigned to each core and carried out at different speeds depending on the clock speed of the core assigned. Glasses with larger holes drain faster. But having a smaller hole drilled into a number of smaller glasses </i> may or may not </i> provide a quicker or more efficient result. But I'm positive there's a lot more to consider here so I was hoping to gain some enlightenment.