Delete photos from stock photo gallery without deleting from Google Drive

A

AC Question

I have a Nexus 6P and I am trying to free up some space on my phone. I am trying to delete some old photos from my device only but it appears that I cannot do it. It appears that when I delete from my device it also deletes from Google drive. My internet search has not yielded me much luck. Project Fi told me that when I delete from my device it does not delete from Google Drive but everything I have read tells me just the opposite. I have backed up all photos, done the "free up space" thing and I am still pushing the limit on my memory (2.3 GB of 2.7.) I have also uninstalled all unused Apps and cleared cache on both apps and OS.

I am not seeing any issues yet with the device but I know they are right around the corner. I hope someone out there can help!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6P and I am trying to free up some space on my phone. I am trying to delete some old photos from my device only but it appears that I cannot do it. It appears that when I delete from my device it also deletes from Google drive

Once a photo is backed up by Google Photos, of your delete the local copy, the cloud based one remains. That is what the 'free up space' function in Photos does; delete any file it has already backed up.

Your can access the local folders with pictures in the photos app as well (slide out menu). If you remove the photo from the main window, yes, all copies get purged.