In the past month or so, my phone had issues connecting to my school's WiFi. I can connect with my laptop no problem so I know the username/password are correct, but my phone will just stall at trying to connect. My phone has no problem connecting to any home networks or even other public WiFi's (coffee shops, McDonald's, restaurants, public library, etc.) Only an issue with University WiFi specifically. I figured my MAC address was being blocked or something of the sort and never bothered contacting my school's IT (they're absolutely useless, they just tell me to restart my phone). However, when I was visiting my girlfriend at a completely different university, I tried connecting to the new school's WiFi using her username & password yet my phone still has the exact same issue?? This would've been my first time connecting to this WiFi so there's no way they have my MAC blocked already is there? Any insight on how to fix this without a factory reset would be really appreciated as it's now become a huge headache. Thank You!
    04-03-2017 01:14 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When you first try to connect to the network, do you get the popup login screen (i.e., the Captive Portal Login)?

Try going to Settings>Apps​, tap Menu>Show System, select CaptivePortalLogin, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now try again.
    04-03-2017 01:46 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When you first try to connect to the network, do you get the popup login screen (i.e., the Captive Portal Login)?

Try going to Settings>Apps​, tap Menu>Show System, select CaptivePortalLogin, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now try again.
    Thank you for the welcome !
    I tried what you suggested however it didn't seem to fix my problem. I attend a Canadian uuniversity, we don't use a portal login for the internet, just simply connect through the settings like you would for a home network or such.
    Also, I am using the Galaxy S7
    04-03-2017 02:14 PM
    So is the password entered within the phone's wi-fi settings, or do you still have to log in with a username and password on a welcome webpage? There's no place to enter a username in the wi-fi settings, so since you mentioned using your girlfriend's username, I assume you mean the latter.
    04-03-2017 05:06 PM
    I doubt your connectivity issue is tied to your S7's MAC address, considering the scale involving the number of users at a typical university focusing on any individual MAC address just isn't likely. Well, unless you've had some kind of previous violation of usage rules. But since you already stated this is the first time you tried to connect that makes it even more unlikely.
    But getting back to your problem, are you using anything like a VPN as a default WiFi connection? Or anything involving some kind of proxy? Those do tend to get blocked as they can involve users to do things beyond the limitations put in place in a some public WiFi networks. If not, maybe there's just some random app you've installed that's the problem. Do you have any kind of firewall app or anti-virus/anti-malware app installed that might be filtering online connectivity? Also, you might want to try starting up your S7 into its Safe Mode and see if you can connect to your school's WiFi. This would at least point to some issue going on with something you've installed as opposed to if this is just some networking configuration issue with your phone itself.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-03-2017 06:31 PM