Is there anything for smartphone like Ghost for PC to do backup?

A

AC Question

I have bought a new Android phone, the Sony Xperia XA.
I like to flash an MIUI custom ROM to the phone.
BUT before doing that, I want to backup the original Sony ROM so that I can flash it back if I am not happy with the MIUI ROM.

How do I make an image of my stock ROM? Is there anything similar to Ghost backup in PC?

Thanks for your help in advance.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
No, as far as I know there isn't anything at this point similar to Norton's Ghost (or my preference, the Open Source Clonezilla) that allows us to clone an image of our phones, nor something like a bootable duplicate that's transferable back and forth. Despite all the benefits of the Android environment, for the most part backing up our mobile devices remains to be fractured, user-interaction-required process. There are methods to make automatic backups of personal data (most involving online connectivity) but as far as the running OS that still involves re-flashing a ROM.
There are devices available to law enforcement that can clone an image of a smartphone but then accessing the actual data in that image can be problematic as encrypting the storage memory is becoming the default. Most of the newer LE tools, like the Cellebrite, focus more on on-site extracting data than making disk images that get examined elsewhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellebrite

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy