Please do not misunderstand my question. I do not want to make my SD card adoptable storage. I want all my apps to be installed to my internal storage. But I want all media files downloaded by all my apps as well as the photos and recordings I make be installed on the SD card.

Internal memory is faster, so I want apps to run from it. SD card storage is bigger, so I want big files like downloaded podcasts from my podcast app and downloaded songs from Spotify, and all other media files to automatically be stored on my SD card.

Is this perhaps the default way it works? I am asking because I am considering buying a new phone, and want a cheap one with low internal storage but SD card slot. However, I want to be sure of how it works first. Have not been able to find the answer SPECIFICALLY to what I am asking. I am only finding info on how to move already downloaded files from internal storage to SD card, on how to make SC card Adoptable storage, and how to individually set the download folder for each individial app (but not for the entire phone and all future downloaded apps' media files, which is what I want)
    04-07-2017 03:01 AM
    set your apps download location to the sd card.
    apps like camera and web browser and many other have their own setting where you can set the saving location yourself
    04-07-2017 03:18 AM
    There is no global setting to put downloaded or created files on the SD card.

Each app chooses where to store its data files that it creates or that it downloads. By default this is somewhere on the internal storage.

Some apps, but not all, let you choose a different location, at that point you can pick the SD card. Most apps do not allow you this choice. To pick a new location, you need to go into each app individually and change its settings, if the app allows it.

In buying a new phone, you really want a phone with the biggest internal storage you can afford, plus an SD card.
    04-07-2017 04:37 AM