Google "News and Weather" widget doesn't update automatically

A

AC Question

I can't seem to find a solution to this issue.

I really like the widget for Google's "News and Weather" app, it is the centre of my home page. I have one main issue with it, it rarely updates on its own. Is there a way to set the frequency at which it updates? Is there a setting on my phone that might be stopping it from auto updating?

I have given the app unrestricted data access, and excluded it from power optimization.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
A couple things I found while Googling about your issue:

"I figured it out! When you go into ACCOUNTS & SYNC > General Sync Settings > Check the Background Data box. (Applications can sync, send, and receive data at any time.) I found that out when I tried opening Google Play Store and the pop-up told me to turn on Background Data."

"I solved this myself after trying a few things. I deleted the News & Weather app's data by going to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All, Tapping "News & Weather", and then "Clear Data". I needed to delete and re-add the widget and set my refresh settings again, but now it works."

Maybe give those a try. If not, Google is quite useful.

StanVanDam

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
Same problem here, the News & Weather 3.4.8 (182006750) widget on my home screen doesn't update unless I actually open it up by tapping inside the widget.

BlackBerry KEYone, model BBB100-1 (Canada, LATAM, APAC, US V1), Android 7.1.1, patch level January 5, 2018, firmware build AAT498.

The News & Weather app is NOT power-optimized, Background Data is enabled, the only permission I can enable is Location and it is enabled.

I have also enabled Background Data for Chrome, Google, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store, and went into News & Weather's Storage and Cleared Data, and removed and readded the widget from my home screen, and repeated this several times.

Inside Battery Optimization, Android Services Library, Android Shared Library, Android System, Chrome, Google, Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, News & Weather are NOT optimized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12