Gear S3 Messaging App speech to text not working

A

AC Question

Just a couple weeks ago I bought a S3 Classic. The stock messaging app at the time would convert my voice to text when replying to a message within the app. A couple days ago the voice feature in the messaging app stopped working completely. I'm pretty sure it's not the watch itself because S Voice works perfect and I can actually send a voice to text message from it. Just doesn't work from the stock messaging app. Anyone else ran into this or have any ideas if there is a fix for it?

TravelinBri

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem with my Gear S3 Classic. I called Samsung and they told me to take the watch to the Samsung counter at Best Buy (their equivelent of Apple's Genius Bar, apparently.) I let the guy there try about 20 different things to fix the problem, none of which correct the issue. Finally, after an hour, he conceded he had no idea how to fix it and told me to send it back to Samsung for warranty repair/replacement.

So, last night I continued to play around with the settings, and I discovered that if I change the native language setting in the Messenger app from English US to English UK, the voice to text feature worked. Apparently, it's the English US language setting that is broken. It's not a perfect solution, as the app stumbles a bit when when transcribing from an American accent, but it's better than not working at all.

Hopefully Samsung will push an update soon to fix the glitch.

dpsoup

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Same issue here. I switched to English UK and it works. I spoke to Samsung for 45 minutes and they told me take the watch to Best Buys as well. Hope they update this soon.

Kelly Taylor1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I can't get either language to work. Regular english- I speak but it just sits there and doesn't convert to text. UK English it says it failed.

This isn't cool. It worked fine before so what happened?:-

mhinrichs89

May 12, 2017
Visit site
This happened to my Classic S3. It was working well until I turned off the option to send a message as either text or voice recording. Then I could never get it turned back on. The UK option worked for about a week, then it quit working as well.

I have been told multiple stories by the Samsung tech support people. "It's the hardware." "It's the software." "Take it to Best Buy because there is a deeper factory reset they can do than what's available to you." "Don't take it to Best Buy because they can't reset it." "Call Amazon because you bought it there (the phone number on Amazon website was a Samsung number)." "You will have to send it in--it will take 5-6 business days." "You have to give us up to 11 business days."

Still no watch. All the while, my entire family of Apple fangirls mock me by telling me I could simply walk into an Apple store and they'd fix it or replace it on the spot. I like the Samsung hardware, but the customer experience has been brutal thus far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781