Freelander PX2 upgrade?

Rod Howarth

May 9, 2017
Visit site
I have an old (3 years) Chinese made Freelander PX2 7" phablet which I've been relatively happy with. It runs Android 4.2.1. On my November trip to northern Thailand, I used Maps ME on it to guide me around in my car, and it "talked" to me nicely! However, when I tried to use it in England, Maps ME wouldn't "talk" to me and I had to keep stopping and looking at the map which was displayed with my route. I believe that Maps ME was up to date on my device. I'm due another northern Thailand trip later this year and want to get my SatNav in place again before I go. When I look in Settings/About tablet/Local Update (which states "Update system through the local package) I get " Please copy the update.zip to/sdcard or /sdcard2. The update file must be named update.zip" This is where I am now. I don't know how to do this, or even where to find the update.zip. I'd really like to know how to update my Freelander, and even if it's possible, and if it's possible, will I be able to install a more recent version of Android.
If you could please help me with this in simple to understand steps, I'd be really grateful.
I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to update the android version so that MapsME might work and talk to me again, or is there a setting that needs to be tweaked, or should I buy a new tablet with a newer android version. Recommendations please, gents. Regards.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The update file would have to come from the manufacturer themselves, or perhaps someone else who has designed a custom ROM. Check the manufacturer's website (if the company still even exists) to see if they have an update file available. If not (and I doubt that they do, given the age of the tablet), then you're pretty much stuck with that version. You could search the forums at XDA-developers.com to see if anyone has a custom ROM, but it's unlikely.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz