How do you move pics around in a folder.

A

AC Question

Let's say I have 10 pics in my camera folder album of a deck of cards from ace to 10. And I took them not in order but I want to move them around in my album so it shows ace - 2 -3 - 4 all the way to 10 how do i do that. Cause when i try to just create a new album or move to and other album I have the same problem I can't place the photos in the order I want. How do u place specific photos in specific places?

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
To rename files, open your file explorer and long-press (tap and hold) a file, then select "rename". The exact specifics differs per device/explorer/android version. When I want to change the order of images in the gallery app, but they have names that break alpha-numerical order, I add a [00] formatted name to the image label followed by it's regular name. I use double didgets because 1 and 11, 12 ect will be placed before 2, 22, 23 ect... The brackets also place the file name above other characters like: _#!- ect... I would make the labels in this order:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[01] Ace.png
[02] 2.png
[03] 3.png
[04] 4.png
[05] 5.png
[06] 6.png
[07] 7.png
[08] 8.png
[09] 9.png
[10] 10.png
[11] Jack.png
[12] Queen.png
[13] King.png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to go all-out and include colors and/or houses while still retaining a similar order try this:
(I prefer perenthesis for sub-names/types)
[01] Ace (Black Spades).png
[02] Ace (Red Spades).png
[03] Ace (Blue Spades).png
[04] Ace (Green Spades).png
[05] Ace (Black Hearts).png
[06] Ace (Red Hearts).png
[07] Ace (Blue Hearts).png
[08] Ace (Green Hearts).png
[09] Ace (Black Diamonds).png
[10] Ace (Red Diamonds).png
[11] Ace (Blue Diamonds).png
[12] Ace (Green Diamonds).png
[13] Ace (Black Clubs).png
[14] Ace (Red Clubs).png
[15] Ace (Blue Clubs).png
[16] Ace (Green Clubs).png
[17] Ace x2 (Black Spades).png
[18] Ace x2 (Red Spades).png
[19] Ace x2 (Blue Spades).png
[20] Ace x2 (Green Spades).png
[21] Ace x2 (Black Hearts).png
(You see where this is going...)
With the second format however, you can see how this will become complicated and quite tedious...

Important note!:
Some file explorers or image viewers ignore the file name and the order is based off of the file timestamps. If your explorer or viewer does not have an option to change this, you can change the timestamps with Attribute Changer (Freeware) on Windows, or with File Timestamp (Free/Requires root) on android directly. I recommend Root Explorer ($3.99 USD) as a file manager.

Last edited:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
What you are looking for is a feature called "custom sorting" or "user-defined sorting".
Not all apps have this. I am guessing that most do not.

Most apps are going to limit your sorting to file-name, file-date, capture-date, and last modified date. With these limitations, you probably end up editing the file names like Mendelli suggests.