Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default PRIME 32G vs 64G?

Well…I am debating long and hard and still cannot decide. I ordered from Amazon.com the 64G Champaign the very first day it was available for preorder. I just called Amazon and was not given free upgrade or gift cards as others here did (bummer). They can ONLY give me a date of 1/8/12 and first delivery available with next day shipping on 1/9/12.

I then called BestBuy and they confirm that the 32G (they are not selling the 64G) is scheduled to be shipped on 12/16/11. The article below sawys that bothe BestBuy and Amazon will ship the 32G on 12/16/11.

Asus Transformer Prime now available for pre-order at Best Buy
    Asus Transformer Prime now available for pre-order at Best Buy

Question 1: Could it be that the 64G’s are being released later than the 32G’s? I’ve never preordered a thing in my life and don’t know if this is the norm.

Question 2: Is the 32G enough when I plan to dump my and a friend’s entire music library in the device? I can’t use Google music or cloud or anything else for storage of the music because of horrible connections where I work. I just prefer to dump all music on my Prime and take it with me anywhere, whether there’s wifi or not.

Thanks….am so indecisive here and really need input for you experts out there

Default Re: PRIME 32G vs 64G?

Kinda depends on how large ur whole music library is. If it is 1gb well I think 32gb will have u covered just fine. If ur like me and have 300gb+ of mp3 files it won't matter which one u buy. My advice is to serious think about a portable HD. Newegg carriers 320gb ones for around $50 that are no bigger than a wallet and run on USB power.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Kinda depends on how large ur whole music library is. If it is 1gb well I think 32gb will have u covered just fine. If ur like me and have 300gb+ of mp3 files it won't matter which one u buy. My advice is to serious think about a portable HD. Newegg carriers 320gb ones for around $50 that are no bigger than a wallet and run on USB power.
    Thanks so much for the great idea and great tips on Newegg!!!!!!! I appreciate it.

Oh you have got to be kidding me.... How can you not launch both versions...... I preordered the 64gb also on amazon and have been expecting it for christmas..... I assume that were talking about US release dates right?

I'm already feeling sad...

Wait there is a 64GB version available? I could not find anywhere online that a 64GB would be sold. I thought 32GB was the max.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    Oh you have got to be kidding me.... How can you not launch both versions...... I preordered the 64gb also on amazon and have been expecting it for christmas..... I assume that were talking about US release dates right?
    Yes, US release dates.

I can confirm this is the same for both 32 and 64 on amazon. My dad and I each got one (i went for 64 he got 32) and both of our orders have the same "shipping after christmas" in the order details. We also ordered on the first day very early. I'm hoping thats just a placeholder date and we'll actually see our tranformers when they ship the 16th.

I preordered the 32GB version. I have a 32GB micro SD card available that I'll just stick in to get the 64GB. Amazon's page says that they will arrive after Christmas but if the release date is truly Dec 8, that may change.
    I choose Android...it's only logical.

unless you need more than 64GB of storage total, the 32GB + a 32GB uSD card will net you the same storage for less, and if the 64GB versions are indeed shipping later, it will also give you the device sooner.

all i can say is i bought the 32gb, and will pick up the dock once it gets close to the $100 mark, that to me seems like a better use of $100 than more nand storage.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I’ve been thinking and thinking and then thinking some more on all the advice given here and by my coworkers. I canceled my order with Amazon for the 64G and bought the 32G from BestBuy. I figure that if I ever need more storage I can get a storage card (I hear they cost less at eBay), I may never even need one. So I saved about $100 and hopefully get it before Christmas.

Thank you for the great advice!

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Yeah definitely get the 32 Gb one.
    Actually, I don't know why almost anyone would need to get a 64Gb tablet when it comes with a micro sd slot. You can easily add another 32 gigs for much less than 100$, so there's no need to pay more than you have to. There are also 64Gb micro SD cards now, although they are pretty expensive at the moment, but of course that will change

The only reason I can think of is that FAT-formatted data cards can't hold files larger than 4GB, while the internal storage does not have that limitation.

The SD card slot supports NTFS so no reason to use FAT

Isn't the slot limited to 32 gb maximum expansion?