Any suggestions for a case or cover for the prime?

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I bought this model that was previously mentioned.

I love love love it. It doesn't add very much bulk to the Prime, and it's very well made. I didn't know how I'd like the "snap" corners, but they work great. It's very easy to detach the bottom corners and use the case as a stand, and it stays securely shut when not in use.

Oh, and I can charge the Prime with the case closed. That was a feature I really wanted.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought this model that was previously mentioned.

I love love love it. It doesn't add very much bulk to the Prime, and it's very well made. I didn't know how I'd like the "snap" corners, but they work great. It's very easy to detach the bottom corners and use the case as a stand, and it stays securely shut when not in use.

Oh, and I can charge the Prime with the case closed. That was a feature I really wanted.

Same one I got. I just wish I didn't have to take out the bottom clips to get it to stand up.

analogmonkey

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I got the Moko and think it's great. Just keep in mind that there's the "Moko Slim" and then the "Moko Ultra Slim", and I go the "Ultra Slim" variety. No point in getting the thinnest planet out there if I'm going to buy a thick case for it.

I like the Moko Ultra Slim. But, on Amazon it got uniformly bad reviews. Can anyone give any details about it? Is anything blocked? Is there any part of it that doesn't fit "snuggly"? Thanks!

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I like the Moko Ultra Slim. But, on Amazon it got uniformly bad reviews. Can anyone give any details about it? Is anything blocked? Is there any part of it that doesn't fit "snuggly"? Thanks!

I was a little surprised after reading those reviews. When I bought it there were no reviews available, but I like the case. First and foremost, it's slim so I don't have a big bulky tablet. I think the case fits well, all of the ports are unblocked, and you can charge it with the cover closed. There are tiny magnets on the corners of the cover flap and case that should keep the flap closed, but they're not particularly strong. After a few days of using the case it kinda "settles" in to the point where they make contact and hold the case closed, but fresh out of the box they may need a little effort to get there there. I have zero concerns about the tablet getting scratched, scuffed, or falling out. It's not "the best case ever", but for $16 (or whatever they list it at) I think that it's a great case, especially if you don't want to sacrifice thinness.

They are correct that if you flip it to a "typing position" then the camera is at the bottom/upside down, but I'll be honest I've never had occasion to type and video chat at the same time. I have had no issues with either camera being blocked by the cover, either.

robkurzd

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the original Moko case and it's ok, but the flap is annoying. I really want a more rugged case for protection in case my toddler gets a hold of it. I like the looks of this one, but it's not available yet.
Drop Tech Series Asus Prime TF201 | Asus Prime Cases, Skins and Covers | Gumdrop Cases

Does anyone know if any of these style cases exist but without ALL of that protection?
I understand the need for his uses, but I would like more of a snap on case that doesn't cover the screen. I already own the VerTeks case for that reason but would like something to use that I don't have to open to use the tablet.

My girlfriend has something similar to what I am looking for in this case for her Galaxy Tab...any suggestions?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1660654

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up this Poetic case that works with the Prime when the keyboard dock is installed:

Amazon.com: Poetic(TM) ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 Leather Keyboard Portfolio Stand Case Cover for TF201 Black: Computers & Accessories

It appears to be identical this one from Minisuit:

Amazon.com: MiniSuit ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 Leather Keyboard Portfolio Stand Case Cover for TF201 Mobile Dock and Tablet (Black) - LCD Cleaner Included: Electronics

I wanted the Minisuit but they weren't in stock and I wanted a case for a trip I'm taking this week. Overall I'm not too impressed. The tablet and dock fit snugly, as far as holding the device in the case goes. But it's very soft leather (leather-like?) material gives it a little play in places, causing some of the holes to not align perfectly. Also, the thickness of the various panels means you've got a significant amount of leather in between the keyboard and screen when the unit is closed, which makes me wonder if it's going to loosen the hinges because the "lid" on the tablet + dock doesn't close all the way (at least as much as it does when naked). But probably worst of all is the thickness. This took my gorgeous .75" keyboard + tablet and more than doubled the thickness. It now resembles a large-format bible or small binder than a sexy piece of tech. I can't say that I care for it, and I haven't seen any other options for a keyboard + tablet other than a simple neoprene sleeve type thing.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It looks like this one from Mini-suit: http://www.amazon.com/MiniSuit-ASUS...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1669480

That's not surprising. I think that there are probably only a handful of companies making these things, and they're selling the same product to 3-4 companies with custom branding on each one. That way the "manufacturer" doesn't spend money on design, and the Chinese company that makes them can sell to as wide a market as possible.

Reactions: MA2GA28

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Reviews look pretty good on it. It seems like the main issue is that you can't charge while the case is closed, but I'm fine with that. I am tempted to look at more tab+keyboard dock covers, but none seem to get great reviews (adding bulk, not closing properly, etc.) Though, honestly, not sure I'd even travel with the dock anyway, but won't know til I figure out my usage patterns.

Actually just received my Prime today. Now waiting the 8 hours for it to charge up first. I can see a late bedtime in my future tonight! :'(;)

Last edited:

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Though, honestly, not sure I'd even travel with the dock anyway, but won't know til I figure out my usage patterns.

I honestly can't imagine NOT bringing the dock when I travel. If I'm flying coast-to-coast then having 16-18 hours of battery capacity is a life/sanity saver. Besides, I'd much rather carry just the Prime + dock and then remote into my PC via SplashTop/TeamViewer/PocketCloud/whatever than have to carry a full laptop. Especially when you consider that 3 hours out of a standard laptop battery is a miracle for me. Especially when you consider that I'd probably be carrying the laptop + the prime anyway. :)

i went with a skin and sleeve instead of a case. works great for me.

Which skin and sleeve? After that Poetic case, I'm seriously considering the same thing. But the Prime is so damn sexy, I'm afraid that skinning it could only make it look uglier.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
a nice simeple black case like that is exactly what i want, does anyone already have one? im just wondering if the tablet will dock, im sure it wont, while still in the case. it wouldnt be too hard to carry the tablet in the case and the dock separately.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually just ordered the Mini-suit one off Amazon. Saw another $25 one that caught my eye too, but the reviews were all over the place for it, so stuck with the Mini-suit. Only a buck more than Overstock and I'll get it quicker, as I am a Prime member. I'll make sure to report back about it.

As for traveling with/without the dock, I doubt I'd take it along with me unless it was a particularly long trip or if I'd need more of a 'laptop' with me. But, that'd be rare, so for now, I'm good with just the tablet cover.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That is basically the same one I got. I like it a lot. Some reviews mentioned not being able to charge with the cover closed, but mine has a hole to be able to do just that.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
That is basically the same one I got. I like it a lot. Some reviews mentioned not being able to charge with the cover closed, but mine has a hole to be able to do just that.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
I just fold the cover around behind it when I charge mine.