Why get this over a laptop?

kdrod95

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Both me and my mom are liking what we see about this tablet and we really want to get it. (she wants me to get it so I'm not borrowing her laptop. My netbook is a low end one we got for free and can't do much)

The only problem we have is my dad. He would rather get me a laptop for the same price instead of the prime. (we would be getting the 64gb + dock) & I would mainly be listening to music (via google music) watching videos, playing games and stuff. We can't do this on my netbook because it's at the point where it can barely load a webpage and the screen is too small (i have to scroll everywhere, AND enlarge the text (which crashes the netbook even more) My mom uses her laptop for work, so I try to refrain from using it.

Both me and my mom want it, but dad thinks I should just get a laptop/netbook because of the price. I won't be doing much file editing on it except for a bit of coding here and there. (I only keep a saved copy of the original and a working version of the layout it's for on my SD. The only time I edit it on the phone (or a tablet) is if I have no access to the computer (which is slowly following in the footsteps of my now-dead netbook) and I'd love to bring it in road trips and use my evo for tethering. My current netbook is heavy,a bit bulky and very unstable, and with the tablet I could just bring the tab part and keep the dock in my bag for road trips.

Do what are some other reasons for getting thus over a laptop? Would most likely be purchasing some time in april to hopefully avoid the first batch issues. (my uncle is also pretty good with tech and is pretty good at fixing stuff. Same goes for my dad and his friend.)

Last edited:

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd almost say that the prime would last you a bit longer than a notebook in the same pricerange, but you are getting a bit up there with the price of a 64gb unit plus the dock. Battery life should be far superior wih the prime vs a notebook, especially when using the doc so long trips in the car would not be a problem.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
won't be doing much file editing on it except for a bit of coding here and there

Get a laptop.
Coding = IDE...they don't run on tablets except for the battery sucking Windows ones which are still too slow for coding/debugging.

Tablets are for couch web browsing when you don't want to fire up the laptop.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Get a laptop.
Coding = IDE...they don't run on tablets except for the battery sucking Windows ones which are still too slow for coding/debugging.

Pretty much this.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

kdrod95

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Get a laptop.

I should have clarified: I only keep a saved copy of the original and a working version of the layout it's for on my SD. The only time I edit it on the phone (or a tablet) is if I have no access to the computer (which is slowly following in the footsteps of my now-dead netbook)

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You cannot code on a tablet (unfortunately!). I am also a programmer, and I would never use my laptop if that was the case. What you can do though is download the application called Splashtop Remote Desktop. This program will allow you to use your school's WiFi (or your friends, whatever) to stream your desktop/laptop to your mobile device. It essentially allows you to connect and use your tablet like a computer but its effectiveness is directly proportional to your internet connection.

yamatime

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a programmer, and don't do any coding, but I can give u my opinion. I have been a laptop user for years, and have had an Android phone since they came out. I use my phone for everything. The only reason I use my laptop anymore is school work. That will probably stop when I get the prime. Or a similar quad core tablet with a keyboard.

Sent from my Evo 3D on Tapatalk.

D4RkNIKON

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I personally bought a Transformer prime over a new laptop because it is more portabe and does everything i would want to do on the go. I am a photographer so pc apps like photoshop and lightroom are imortant to me but that is why i have a pc at home. I dont edit anywhere but the office so the prime is great for things like web browsing and so on.

I am waiting for my keyboard dock tho so that i can test out logmein ignition on the pri e just to see if it will work as a makeshift pc to do simple edits on the go but again that is not why i bought it.

fr8cture

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Get a laptop i would rather have my pc before a tablet but i already have a custom gaming pc and a Mac book Pro so i decide to finally get a tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1