ASUS is making an unlocker for it's bootloader! ICS on Jan 12th!

D4RkNIKON

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much for all of the support you have given to ASUS. Eee Pad Transformer Prime received excellent reviews and great demand when it launched in December 2011. Now, we are continuing to make the Transformer Prime available in the worldwide market, and doing our best to fulfill the incredible demand. ASUS strives to create the best products and provide the best service for our customers, and will be releasing an FOTA update for the Transformer Prime shortly. This update, version 8.8.3.33, will improve the focus of the camera, the fluidity of the touch experience, and the APK capabilities in Android Market.

ASUS has been working hard to make the highly anticipated Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich available on the Transformer Prime, and today, we have good news for you. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich FOTA worldwide update for the Transformer Prime will start from Jan 12th, 2012. Thank you for your patience and support through this process.

In addition, we would like to address your concerns related to GPS and bootloader on the Transformer Prime.

The ASUS Transformer Prime is made from a metallic unibody design, so the material may affect the performance of the GPS when receiving signals from satellites. Please note that this product is not a professional GPS device, and signal performance can be easily influenced by factors including, but not limited to: weather, buildings, and surrounding environments. Please understand there are limitations when using the GPS function. To avoid inconveniencing users who demand a powerful GPS device, we made the decision to remove it from our specification sheet and marketing communications. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers' requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.

Thank you for all the understanding and support for the ASUS Transformer Prime. Happy New Year!

Reactions: Jonneh

Fradworth

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: ASUS is making an unlocker for it's bootloader! ICS on Jan 12

Supposed to get mine on Friday. Looking forward to it.

Good they will release a BL code. Not a modder myself, but happy those who are will be able to tweak this guy with possible benefit to those not a modder, i.e. me.

The GPS thing is no big issue for me as I don't ever plan on using it, really. Pretty crappy, though, with the "Oh, BTW, that GPS we told you about..well...not so much". But, since I never really thought of using the GPS, what would people use the GPS for on a wifi only tablet?

ICS a week after getting it? Nice.

Now, about that weak wifi issue.....

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

perfection is within our grasp!

and yet, with no gps on the device would agps still work when in a wifi area? although i doubt i would ever use this in a car while driving since i have my phone which is smaller and easier to manage with one hand, i still think it might be a nice feature to have.

Scumbag Inc.

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Where was this posted? A link would be nice. So far I have heard no official word. I will believe it when I see it.
My motto, "I don't believe anything I read and only half of what I see."
I see its on their facebook page now.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm impressed. The Prime has received in total, what, 3 firmware updates already, and now ICS is coming beginning Jan 12th, a mere 9 days away? Not only that, I feel like communication from ASUS has been stellar compared to a lot of other manufacturers (guess I won't mention names). I owned an ASUS eeePC 7" ultra-portable netbook from them that they don't even sell anymore, and now I own this tablet, and although ASUS has always been kind of known to have build quality issues in the past, count me in as an impressed, happy customer so far.

Only thing is I was a little sad they didn't even bother to mention the wifi...but, it's not like they could've done anything about it anyway; it'd be just like the GPS statement, kind of a "We're really sorry about that". Fortunately, like many others, I don't see the point of using GPS on my giant 10.1" tablet in the car when I have my smaller 4" phone to get me where I need to go. Unless I'm just asking for a fatal crash or something.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Very impressed with how ASUS is staying on top of updates.

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Wow they heard us!!! Unlock tool, awesome....

ICS on the 12th even better...People are nuts if they are returning the Prime. It is pure goodness, except for the GPS, but that's not a big deal for me...

Scumbag Inc.

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I just want to chime in on the GPS for a second here without hijacking this thread.
My prime knows my location for looking up weather, Google, and roughly where I am (down to my house) on Maps. I am happy with that performance. For those of you looking to uses your 10" tablet in your car for navigation, I don't know what to say.
No matter what they say it seems fixable. The GPS antennas are located just behind the glass and I don't think the aluminum backing is affecting it that drastically (unless of course you are holding it upside down.)
If they give us root I will fix the damn thing myself just like I had to do with my G2X!

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I just want to chime in on the GPS for a second here without hijacking this thread.
My prime knows my location for looking up weather, Google, and roughly where I am (down to my house) on Maps. I am happy with that performance. For those of you looking to uses your 10" tablet in your car for navigation, I don't know what to say.
No matter what they say it seems fixable. The GPS antennas are located just behind the glass and I don't think the aluminum backing is affecting it that drastically (unless of course you are holding it upside down.)
If they give us root I will fix the damn thing myself just like I had to do with my G2X!

Looking forward to it and you releasing your mod for all! :p

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

precisely what i was looking for, as long as it can still find my location for things like checking in, or weather or google maps, then i truly ( and of course this is only MY personal opinion) see no reason to complain about no gps at all, i didnt expect the tablet to have gps when it was first announced. when they included it i merely 'Meh'd and kept it moving, it wont be a feature i miss.

yamatime

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. Can't wait until can get my own! I guess the GPS thing is not going to be a big deal to me, at least I hope not. I would still use my phone for navigation. Only thing I would maybe need it for on a tablet is for checking in, and using the map just to look at it to figure out a route ot something before I go somewhere. Hopefully it will still work for this. Anyone have experience with that aspect?

Sent from my Evo 3D on Tapatalk.