How true is this?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
thats very true. i was testing my tablet before returning it to the store and GPS doesnt work I have a post here about it. thats why Asus removed GPS from the specs on their official site

The Tech Teen

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Sadly yes it will remain completely true due to the aluminum uni-body. (RFD and GPS signals don't interact well with it.) However as of today ASUS claims this GPS issue will be fixed in the 3G version of the prime scheduled in march if its that important to you.:)

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The GPS isn't really an issue for me, it's paying for something that doesn't work or perform as advertised. Like the HTC Thunderbolt's front facing camera when it first came out. I now love it though. What is or would be a deal breaker for me is weak wi fi.

BikeTourGermany

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Not many people are gonna want a 3g version though so they should recall and fix the wifi ones.

Hmm, the missing UMTS (3G) was the first missing feature which made me think about buying it and then the GPS and Wi-Fi problems gave it a rest.
I wait till the 3G Version is available, cause it seems that ASUS has changed the backplate and made some openings (covered with plastic) to allow a better reception for GPS and Wi-Fi as well as for 3G.

And yes I would like to access the Internet wherever I am and not depending on the availability of Wi-Fi.
Specially because Wi-Fi networks are very rare in the area I live in.

I don't understand the engineers of ASUS in that matter, they must have tested the device before and no one ever figured out that an aluminum box isn't receiving any radio signals ?? Common Sense tells you that. Ohh my, so waiting for the CES and see what's popping up there.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I understand the disappointment and the reluctance to pay such a huge sum of money for a product that is, well, basically missing a common feature - GPS. It's not missing it entirely, and it does work, but it requires patience and a little extra time. That's ONLY for navigation/google maps though. In terms of widgets like weather finding your location to display the correct data, the wifi works perfectly fine. You really only notice GPS issues if you open up maps and try to use navigation and all.

But honestly, I didn't buy the Transformer Prime to use it as a car navigation system. I'll even let you in on a little secret...when I bought mine, I didn't even KNOW it said it had GPS! hahaha. The thought never even entered my mind - only when I am buying a phone. Personally, I just don't see the huge benefit of carrying around a 10.1" screen for GPS navigation in my car. Would it be convenient if I had the choice and could do it if I wanted to? Sure, that's true. But the 4" screen on my phone is plenty for simple, free google maps navigation to get me going on the correct path. That's just me.

So, I look at that "issue", and then I see...

This thing has an absolutely gorgeous screen. I have never seen such an amazing screen before. Colors are crisp, clear, and natural-looking. The screen is big and bright. The viewing angles, oh man the viewing angles! I can see everything just as if I am staring right down at it in front of me, when I am watching my brother use it. The tablet by itself feels like a freakin' feather. Well, okay, maybe not that light...let's say ten feathers stacked, just to be more realistic. ;-) The thinness still to this day surprises me from time to time when I pick it up or turn it over or something. After the firmware updates issued (quickly, might I add, which surprised and impressed me a lot) by ASUS, the prime is even snappier than when I first turned it on out of the box, which I thought, back then, was fast. Thumb Keyboard, landscape / split works with absolutely zero lag whatsoever, and if it weren't for the wifi being on the slower end of "good", Dolphin browser would be just as fast. Even further, once I receive my champagne keyboard dock from Amazon, I can use the tablet to type up my notes in my college courses this semester (my main reason for picking this up!).

I know it all depends on personal needs, and perhaps you seriously, really really needed GPS...if that's honestly the case, okay, I admit it, run far away from the Prime. Besides the GPS, many customers are receiving bad units with various hardware issues as well - however, they're returning them and then receiving another unit which works perfectly as intended. Keep all of this in mind.

Obviously, I guess I'm showing that as the days go by, I'm loving this thing more and more. But I really want that keyboard, damn't.

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
+1 for wanting my champagne keyboard to be shipped to me. Amazon reports that they are now delayed.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Jonneh, Im right there with ya on the keyboard. Ordered 2 grey ones from BB Friday. Says Monday or Tuesday delivery. Lets hope so. :D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

fr8cture

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, the missing UMTS (3G) was the first missing feature which made me think about buying it and then the GPS and Wi-Fi problems gave it a rest.
I wait till the 3G Version is available, cause it seems that ASUS has changed the backplate and made some openings (covered with plastic) to allow a better reception for GPS and Wi-Fi as well as for 3G.

And yes I would like to access the Internet wherever I am and not depending on the availability of Wi-Fi.
Specially because Wi-Fi networks are very rare in the area I live in.

I don't understand the engineers of ASUS in that matter, they must have tested the device before and no one ever figured out that an aluminum box isn't receiving any radio signals ?? Common Sense tells you that. Ohh my, so waiting for the CES and see what's popping up there.

I dont think its worth paying a monthly fee for anything beside a phone especially when you can use your phone as a hot spot.

uglyyeti

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I just don't see the huge benefit of carrying around a 10.1" screen for GPS navigation in my car .

Agreed. I used the Prime for Google Nav on a short trip last Thursday. While it worked fine, i couldn't really see it laying flat on the passenger seat. I wound up switching back to my Fascinate on the way because it can prop up between the hvac controls on my dash - it's just much easier to see while driving.

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The issue with the GPS would affect some games I play like Life is Crime and Parallel Kingdom. Not a huge issue, more a pain in the a$$. Again my real issue would be the wi fi if it isn't really strong.

Evergreen4

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't need gps on a tablet neither, but the thing is that this metal design is causing also problems on the wifi range as reported for many users... So I am starting to consider buying the 3G version... Have Asus said something regarding availability dates and price of this new model?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9000 usando Tapatalk

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The issue with the GPS would affect some games I play like Life is Crime and Parallel Kingdom. Not a huge issue, more a pain in the a$$. Again my real issue would be the wi fi if it isn't really strong.

Ohh, I see..I haven't played a game that required GPS like that before, so I didn't realize. I guess that would cause me to reconsider as well, if I were interested in playing those games.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I understand the disappointment and the reluctance to pay such a huge sum of money for a product that is, well, basically missing a common feature - GPS. It's not missing it entirely, and it does work, but it requires patience and a little extra time. That's ONLY for navigation/google maps though. In terms of widgets like weather finding your location to display the correct data, the wifi works perfectly fine. You really only notice GPS issues if you open up maps and try to use navigation and all.

But honestly, I didn't buy the Transformer Prime to use it as a car navigation system. I'll even let you in on a little secret...when I bought mine, I didn't even KNOW it said it had GPS! hahaha. The thought never even entered my mind - only when I am buying a phone. Personally, I just don't see the huge benefit of carrying around a 10.1" screen for GPS navigation in my car. Would it be convenient if I had the choice and could do it if I wanted to? Sure, that's true. But the 4" screen on my phone is plenty for simple, free google maps navigation to get me going on the correct path. That's just me.

So, I look at that "issue", and then I see...

This thing has an absolutely gorgeous screen. I have never seen such an amazing screen before. Colors are crisp, clear, and natural-looking. The screen is big and bright. The viewing angles, oh man the viewing angles! I can see everything just as if I am staring right down at it in front of me, when I am watching my brother use it. The tablet by itself feels like a freakin' feather. Well, okay, maybe not that light...let's say ten feathers stacked, just to be more realistic. ;-) The thinness still to this day surprises me from time to time when I pick it up or turn it over or something. After the firmware updates issued (quickly, might I add, which surprised and impressed me a lot) by ASUS, the prime is even snappier than when I first turned it on out of the box, which I thought, back then, was fast. Thumb Keyboard, landscape / split works with absolutely zero lag whatsoever, and if it weren't for the wifi being on the slower end of "good", Dolphin browser would be just as fast. Even further, once I receive my champagne keyboard dock from Amazon, I can use the tablet to type up my notes in my college courses this semester (my main reason for picking this up!).

I know it all depends on personal needs, and perhaps you seriously, really really needed GPS...if that's honestly the case, okay, I admit it, run far away from the Prime. Besides the GPS, many customers are receiving bad units with various hardware issues as well - however, they're returning them and then receiving another unit which works perfectly as intended. Keep all of this in mind.

Obviously, I guess I'm showing that as the days go by, I'm loving this thing more and more. But I really want that keyboard, damn't.

GPS is on my wife and mine's cellphone, and both cars. I really don't need it on my Prime. Haven't even used it once.