1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Splashtop HD on the Transformer Prime

Have you tried Splashtop HD on the Prime yet? It is on sale right now for $6.99 I think in the android market and it is absolutely amazing.

I have Logmein Ignition but it doesn't even compare when it comes to smoothness and even usability. I am a photographer and I just used Splashtop to load up my desktop computer that I am away from and was able to fully use Photoshop to design an album for a wedding couple right from my Transformer Prime. It was a thing of beauty. They keyboard dock lets you use photoshop keyboard shortcuts and everything. I can't even begin to describe how awesome that is!

Default Re: Splashtop HD on the Transformer Prime

Is this the 'THD' version? I thought I saw on one of the gadget blogs that they were demoing the THD version and playing some game (located on their PC) in full motion on their prime. Looked pretty nice.

I have it and love it but there is an issue when trying to utilize any browser other than chrome on the windows PC you are accessing and try typing in the browser utlizing the on screen keyboard - it disconnects - understand this only happens if you away and accessing from outside your home network. Splashtop support is working on a fix for it from what I udnerstand - we have been corresponding back and forth trying differrent things. It works fine when docked and using the dock keyboard.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

That's awesome I'm also a photographer I already have Splashtop HD. Now I just need to find a Prime in stock somewhere!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by MJBarnes View Post
    Is this the 'THD' version? I thought I saw on one of the gadget blogs that they were demoing the THD version and playing some game (located on their PC) in full motion on their prime. Looked pretty nice.
    No this one is just the HD version. The THD version is optimized for gaming and the Tegra 3 chip. It is not out yet but the Splashtop HD version that is in the market is well worth the $6.99 they are asking. I payed $30 for a practically unusable Logmein app. It is seriously night and day.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I use TeamViewer. It seems to be pretty good. Haven't tried Splashtop so I can't compare, but the basic functionality is fantastic. To access and operate a remote PC with such ease is really nice.

ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

My Prime hasn't arrived yet (hopefully Saturday or Monday), but I thought from the ASUS page I read that the Prime had pre-installed software to allow you to access your PC already. Is that not true?

ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

Quote Originally Posted by frellingfrakker View Post
    My Prime hasn't arrived yet (hopefully Saturday or Monday), but I thought from the ASUS page I read that the Prime had pre-installed software to allow you to access your PC already. Is that not true?
    I looked at the specs/features page again to verify. It says you can use ASUS MyCloud to remotely access and control PC or Mac systems. Has anyone tried this?

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

nope but you need to install software on your pc/mac
    Its an Incredible feeling

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

The mycloud on the Prime is Splashtop HD, it is missing a feature I'm not sure what though.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gquit View Post
    The mycloud on the Prime is Splashtop HD, it is missing a feature I'm not sure what though.
    Came here to post this. The tablet already comes with it

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

It does come with it. It is under the my cloud program.

You can even use it to play high end games, I ran around on Star Wars the old Republic and Battlefield 3. Issues I ran into where my Asus Keyboard wouldn't work for movement, The Mouse I Plugged in wouldn't work at all (even though they say you can use both of those and xbox 360 controller and PS3 controller) so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonKrewson View Post
    You can even use it to play high end games, I ran around on Star Wars the old Republic and Battlefield 3.
    Was that using MyCloud or Splashtop HD? I'm about to go travelling for a bit and would LOVE to be able to play a couple of games remotely on my Prime while I'm on the other side of continent from my desktop.

Update - moving up to Splashtop THD resolved the on screen keyboard issues

I have been using the HD version for about a month now and it is amazing. I can do everything as if I was sitting at my desk at home with no slow down. I have never experienced any issues with the browser at all and I use IE and Mozilla at home. I have streamed videos and even downloaded from a p2p site while seeding, no slow down. It was the best 6 bucks I ever spent!

Has anyone used this remotely, as in, not from within your home network? Obviously performance should be good if your PC and tablet are on the same network, but if you're coming across the internet to connect to your PC at home in New York from a hotel in Seattle, does that work well? Are games still playable?

In my mind, there's no point in being able to "remote" into your PC if you're just in the next room. If you want to do something that the Prime can't then you can just walk the 20 feet and have a much more robust media experience running it directly on your PC. But if it works WELL across the average cable/DSL link so that you can truly work/play remotely, then that's potentially a game-changer.

OK, I decided to bite and got THD for my prime tonight. I'm incredibly impressed with it so far, at least over the local LAN/wifi network. I was able to get 3D games working VERY well with it so long as I switched to Windowed mode (I have an ATI video card in my desktop). I'm going to take the Prime down to the local coffee shop tomorrow to see how it works from their wifi connection. If so...holy cow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcferrin View Post
    Has anyone used this remotely, as in, not from within your home network? Obviously performance should be good if your PC and tablet are on the same network, but if you're coming across the internet to connect to your PC at home in New York from a hotel in Seattle, does that work well? Are games still playable?

In my mind, there's no point in being able to "remote" into your PC if you're just in the next room. If you want to do something that the Prime can't then you can just walk the 20 feet and have a much more robust media experience running it directly on your PC. But if it works WELL across the average cable/DSL link so that you can truly work/play remotely, then that's potentially a game-changer.
    Yes, it works fine on separate networks. I used it in another country and was able to do my work with little to no lag. Didn't try any games.

ROM
    EMANCIPATION

OK, I decided to bite and got THD for my prime tonight. I'm incredibly impressed with it so far, at least over the local LAN/wifi network. I was able to get 3D games working VERY well with it so long as I switched to Windowed mode (I have an ATI video card in my desktop). I'm going to take the Prime down to the local coffee shop tomorrow to see how it works from their wifi connection. If so...holy cow!
    Curious what your findings were. I have not had any success connecting while outside of my home network.
    Samsung Infuse - Emancipation A:I

Quote Originally Posted by lavman72 View Post
    Curious what your findings were. I have not had any success connecting while outside of my home network.
    I took it on a trip last week and it worked just fine. You have to put in the details for your Google account in the "Network" tab in the Splashtop Streamer app, and then use that Google account to sign in. I believe that it is somehow using Google Talk to locate the PC, but once I started using that Google account I had no problem connecting and was able to browse and work remotely with no show-stoppers.

I did have some lag issues though. It wasn't bad for browsing and office-type work, but it made playing games remotely difficult. That being said, I was connecting from a crappy hotel wifi connection most of the time. Next week I may try tethering to my Droid 4 to see how it does over LTE.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    EMANCIPATION

I took it on a trip last week and it worked just fine. You have to put in the details for your Google account in the "Network" tab in the Splashtop Streamer app, and then use that Google account to sign in. I believe that it is somehow using Google Talk to locate the PC, but once I started using that Google account I had no problem connecting and was able to browse and work remotely with no show-stoppers.

I did have some lag issues though. It wasn't bad for browsing and office-type work, but it made playing games remotely difficult. That being said, I was connecting from a crappy hotel wifi connection most of the time. Next week I may try tethering to my Droid 4 to see how it does over LTE.
    Well, that was the issue. I had to enter my Google account information (under the Network tab) on the Splashtop application on my PC. That being said, I've tried connecting with my home computer several times, all with varying results. Just viewing the desktop was blurry, and then another time it was clear. I couldn't get certain things to work..say opening up a video (mp4 which used Itunes to open). And I got disconnected several times.

I'm going to keep playing around with it, but for now at least it's not working all that great.
    Samsung Infuse - Emancipation A:I

Quote Originally Posted by lavman72 View Post
    Well, that was the issue. I had to enter my Google account information (under the Network tab) on the Splashtop application on my PC. That being said, I've tried connecting with my home computer several times, all with varying results. Just viewing the desktop was blurry, and then another time it was clear. I couldn't get certain things to work..say opening up a video (mp4 which used Itunes to open). And I got disconnected several times.

I'm going to keep playing around with it, but for now at least it's not working all that great.
    I find that how well it works depends greatly on the PC that it connects to and the network you are coming over. I have no problems using it within my network, but once I get outside then the experience varies greatly.

Also, I find that it depends on which PC I am connecting to. I have my main desktop PC that seems to work well, but then I also sometimes connect to a virtual desktop in my lab environment that does goofy things with the display. I think that's because the virtual display adapter doesn't know what to do with the Prime's native resolution so it stretches and distorts a bit. Also, video coming from the virtual PC is poor, but that's more a limitation of my lab than anything else.

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts

LogMeIn for my iPhone is awesome. I'm fortunate that I'm not only a computer guy at work but at home too :/.

I used TeamViewer and it is pretty solid. I'm currently using both (TeamViewer - free on Android, LogMeIn - free on iOS).

My brother purchased LogMeIn Ignition for Android and the speed was not comparable to TeamViewer at all. LogMeIn for iOS does seem to work better.