Excessive battery consumption?

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have my Transformer Prime pretty much permanently attached to the keyboard dock. I'm not sure if it would accelerate battery depletion when the dock's battery is drained but I believe it is worth noting.

I am seeing the battery drain 1.6% per hour while the tablet is idle with the screen off and in airplane mode. Does this seem excessive? It does to me, especially while being in airplane mode since it won't be syncing any data or doing any processor-intensive tasks but I am curious of other people's experiences.

Looking at Battery under Settings obviously isn't much help since it doesn't list battery use by app like it should. I can't see at a glance what is preventing my Prime from going into a low power state while idle. What apps do people recommend to determine what the offending app(s) are that are causing high battery drain?

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
What performance mode do you have the tablet set to?

I keep mine on Balanced mode and haven't noticed any issues as of yet. But if you happen to keep yours on Performance mode, I could see this happening.

Otherwise, have you tried rebooting and/or factory resetting the unit? Seems to be the general fix for most folks here...

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
My tablet is set to Balanced mode also. I have tried rebooting and a factory reset, but when the Prime re-downloads everything from my backup the offending app ends up on my Prime again. Short of starting from scratch and installing an app at a time until I notice battery consumption jump I am not sure what to do.

I notice in CPU spy that my Prime rarely goes into a "Deep Sleep" state. When idle it seems like it works what I assume would be the companion core pretty hard at all times and I am trying to figure out why.

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Strange indeed. I'd be very curious to find out what is causing the issue as well, and what apps folks use to monitor CPU/battery/memory usage by other apps.

I wonder about some of these advertisements that pop up in apps; presumably they only consume resources while the app is active, but could there be a hidden app running in the background at all times? I've noticed "MP3 Music Downloader", which I have installed on my Galaxy S II, will frequently spam me with notifications that I've won an iPad, etc. And this happens when the phone is idle. (Very annoying, but until I find a better app without ads, it'll stay... though I don't like the idea of this crap hitting my phone.)

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue with mine in the dock as well. I keep it in balanced and it seems to die in about 6 hours from a full charge on both batteries?

naldiian

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys have the MobileDock Battery Saving Mode enabled in the ASUS custom settings?

This all came up with the original Transformer, where it would never go to sleep completely because when docked it was always checking to see if it was opened so it could wake up automatically. When you enable that setting it tells it to turn that off after a bit and when you open it like a laptop you still need to hit the power buton to turn it on.

the 1.6% per hour number may be due to that, but the 6 hours issue is definitely something else entirely I would guess.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys have the MobileDock Battery Saving Mode enabled in the ASUS custom settings?

This all came up with the original Transformer, where it would never go to sleep completely because when docked it was always checking to see if it was opened so it could wake up automatically. When you enable that setting it tells it to turn that off after a bit and when you open it like a laptop you still need to hit the power buton to turn it on.

I will have to check into that. that would definitely explain why the CPU very rarely goes into Deep Sleep mode.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if they pulled the recent update because I still have not gotten it since last week and it is not on the site yet?? My wifi is pretty bad so I am sure its searching hard but the update might help that. Anyone still not gotten the update? I have that power saver dock mode on as well

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I checked and the power saver dock mode is on. Some people in this thread obviously have it much worse then me, but the latest data I have is as follows:

Tablet connected to keyboard dock, idle with screen off along with airplane mode on for about 6 hours. The tablet's battery dropped 7% and the dock's battery dropped 8%. That is not horrid by any means but I am a little confused why the drain isn't next to nothing since there is no active connection of any kind.

Looking at CPU Spy the CPU was at 370 mhz for 40% of the time, Deep Sleep 30% of the time and the remainder was between the two. It seems like Deep Sleep should be significantly higher.

Maybe this type of battery drain is the norm but I guess I am used to my Xoom where it would lose a few % if it sat in airplane mode for 8+ hours.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could tell which apps were the culprit, but after doing a factory reset and only loading what I needed my battery consumption dropped dramatically. Normally after being unplugged and used frequently over 24 hours (with standby while I am sleeping and working) I would need to be mindful of what I was doing because the dock would be drained and my tablet would be pretty close to dead.

Right now, after 29 hours after being unplugged with my same level of usage, the dock is at 19% and the tablet is at 85%.

leeshor

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Live wallpaper, Skype and widgets cause the TF to use more battery. I lose 2%-3% in 24 hours when the screen is off. No special settings but I do use Auto Airplane Mode (by DON) from the Market. Makes a ton of difference