Dead wall charger? Anyone else?

Schafudd

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd Prime and now this one won't charge. It will trickle charge through usb but wall charger appears to have the bed. I've taken it apart, bent the leads, reassumbled, rebooted, factory re-set, everything. No Dice.
I just ordered 2 new chagers (one for home, one for work) hoping that will be the issue.

so first the tablets had issues now the chargers/cords are crapping out. Never roll up my cord, wall plug never gets tossed around.

Not exactly blown away by ASUS quality.

Anyone else running into charger issues?

thanks
Ss

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd Prime and now this one won't charge. It will trickle charge through usb but wall charger appears to have the bed. I've taken it apart, bent the leads, reassumbled, rebooted, factory re-set, everything. No Dice.
I just ordered 2 new chagers (one for home, one for work) hoping that will be the issue.

so first the tablets had issues now the chargers/cords are crapping out. Never roll up my cord, wall plug never gets tossed around.

Not exactly blown away by ASUS quality.

Anyone else running into charger issues?

thanks
Ss

No charger issues here, but having a modular design like they have could be grounds for trouble.

Are you sure that your prime is charging over USB? I've heard all along that USB cannot provide the appropriate voltage to charge the TP. Lots of people have commented that their standard wall chargers from other devices will not work with the TP either due to the same reason.

Trackready

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Unplug charger for several hours and retry. There is an internal breaker which trips once in a blue moon. Unplugging it allows the contacts to cool and "reset"

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

c00l0ne

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
nope,,,mine charges fine and doesnt take that long to charge 100% via wall outlet, it doesnt charge fast on my laptop or my tower pc. But other than that this tablet is great , I just had this for 2 weeks.

Schafudd

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Unplug charger for several hours and retry. There is an internal breaker which trips once in a blue moon. Unplugging it allows the contacts to cool and "reset"

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

It was unplugged all day yesterday, when i got home it worked.

Just odd because the charger hadn't been used in 2 days before trying unsucessfully. Odd but oh well, at least it works. Just bummed they had me do a factory re-set, gotta redo all my music and music folders in player-pro.

Thanks for the input people, i appreciate it.

Ss

Athenia

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I went through two chargers before I found a solution that worked for me. First, (and this wasn't the issue with me, but)... I've seen several forums say that if you put the wall charger part in a ziploc bag and stick in the freezer for 2-3 hours, that may fix it. You should also know that even if the usb cord works, most non-asus store bought adapters won't charge and computer's don't have enough voltage output to charge. With all of that said, both the chargers I had stopped working for the same reason.

If you look inside the area where you stick the USB cord, up top you will see two small pins (the flat metal all around is detached and curves down a bit) These two pins are meant to sit inside the two holes USB cables have on them and are needed for a full connection. However, the metal is very flexible and the USB side pushing in and out can push those to pins up towards the top over time ruining the connection. You need to "pull" them back down. You can use either a small screwdriver, tweezers or even a pin. The picture isn't great, but there is a YouTube video that shows it:

Asus transformer Charger fix - YouTube

uglyyeti

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The Chinese knock-off plug/charger I bought on Ebay works much better than the stock Asus one. It might have been 12 bucks shipped - I've been using it with no issues since early January. I keep the Asus one for travel since it has a longer cord. It barely (or rarely) works for me.

KWP1911

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
My charger died last week while I was in Italy (go figure). I tried all the fixes.

Anyway, now that I'm back home, I went and bought a new charger. I found out that it was not the charger but the cable that was dead. I tried the new charger with the old cable and it didn't work. Then tried the old charger with the new cable and voila! success!

I'll keep the charger as a back up or in the office. Oh well......

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Today my wall charger stopped working as well. I put in a zip lock bag in the freezer to see if it will work tomorrow. It charges from the dock but I can't charge the dock with the charger either, and my dock is almost depleted so soon I will be Primeless.

This is sad...

Anyone know of this is covered under warranty? If not, where you get a replacement charger?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I can confirm that letting the charger cool down a few hours or putting it in the freezer will work. I put the charger in the freezer last night right after posting in this thread. At around 8:30 AM I plugged it in and it's charging both the dock and Prime again.

What's weird is that I didn't even use it much yesterday. It was around 80 degrees in Providence though. I'm hoping the warm days of Summer don't make this a frequent occurrence.

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine stopped working a couple of days ago and ASUS (terrible support) still hasn't responded to me. I'll try this and see if it works!

Your charger or your Prime?

My Prime was working fine at night, I shut it off, and, turned it on the next morning. Wouldn't turn on. It's not a charger issue, but, I contacted Asus, and, they were extremely helpful. They went through all the motions they are required to, asked me to do one last step of troubleshooting when I was near a computer. I did it, called back, and, they set up an RMA for me, two emails with shipping label, etc. arrived immediately VIA email. I will be shipping it out today.

Did you call the number or email them? They have a 24/7 number you can call. So, if you aren't calling, that'd be your best bet.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
OK, I recant what I said. Now the charger is not charging again. Whatever the freezer trick did, it only worked for a few days.

I have a feeling all you people sending in your Primes for being "dead" are simply experiencing dead chargers or charger issues. Once mine dies, I will no longer know if the charger is working because there is no LED light on the device.

Anyone have a solution to this? I just got the update and my prime was running great! Now this sucks!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling all you people sending in your Primes for being "dead" are simply experiencing dead chargers or charger issues. Once mine dies, I will no longer know if the charger is working because there is no LED light on the device.

My charger is fine. When I plug it into my dock the light turns on on the dock. Additionally, there is a light physically on the power switch of your Prime. The light on my prime was not lighting up, therefore, I know it was broken. Asus didn't even ask me to test the charger, it never even came up in there troubleshooting.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Alright, this reply is also valid for my other thread
http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...charging-behavior-including-while-docked.html

I received the charger that I purchased for $30 and my Prime is charging again. So I know the Prime is not the issue.

I swapped the old cable into the new wall wart and it does not charge. However, the old wall wart will charge with the new cable.

So this means that my old wall wart is fine. The old cable is apparently no good. I compared the proprietary connectors of both the old and new cables and they are different. The new one has what looks like 3 sets of reinforced metal connectors inside the head. Whereas the old cable has a uniform set of metal connectors in the head that all look the same. It appears the Asus has added some reinforcement or emphasis to a set of three connectors in the new version.

However, on the old one to my eye none of them appear to be bent or anything. But maybe they just wore out? I'm debating calling Asus on this an seeing if at least they can send me a replacement cable to use with my old wall wart....

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you should call ASUS. They sold you a defective charger. Explain to them why you know it's just the charger and they will RMA it, give you a FEDEX shipping label and the whole thing will cost you nothing.

When my Prime bricked, I informed ASUS of all the troubleshooting I had done already. They had me do one test I didn't think of, and, when that didn't work, they RMA'd it. They didn't even ask to test the charger, or, have me send it with my Prime because I explained to them why it wasn't the charger (the green charging light would come on when I plugged it into the dock). They didn't give me a hard time about it at all. Their customer service was polite and helpful and the entire transaction (new mobo) went as smooth as I could have hoped for (albeit it was difficult to not have my Prime).