a few questions before i make a move (from ipad)

j8lacy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Once upon a time I had a Xoom but i traded it for an iPad 2 for a number of reasons...the Xoom was a bit sluggish at the time, couldnt sync to itunes, and there was no netflix app (this is a must for me), not to mention the ipad 2 seemed to run much smoother and better...and the Xoom's screen was terrible...the colors looked washed out and it had the worst screen glare ever lol and on top of all this it had nerve to be bulky...

Now that i have seen this Prime i am very interested. I see the power it harnesses. So I have a few questions for you guys about it.

1. Is there a netflix app? And if so does it stream in HD?

2. Is the internet experience equal or greater than the ipad 2? (ik about flash but does it flow as smooth as the iPad?...

3. Are there any major software or design flaws with the Prime?

4. Will the Prime continue to update it's 4.0 software as time goes along or will this device be stuck with one update and be forgotten about in a year like most android devices....

5. Is there a way I can sync it with itunes?

6. Should I wait for the new prime what will be the difference? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Once upon a time I had a Xoom but i traded it for an iPad 2 for a number of reasons...the Xoom was a bit sluggish at the time, couldnt sync to itunes, and there was no netflix app (this is a must for me), not to mention the ipad 2 seemed to run much smoother and better...and the Xoom's screen was terrible...the colors looked washed out and it had the worst screen glare ever lol and on top of all this it had nerve to be bulky...

Now that i have seen this Prime i am very interested. I see the power it harnesses. So I have a few questions for you guys about it.

2. Is the internet experience equal or greater than the ipad 2? (ik about flash but does it flow as smooth as the iPad?...

4. Will the Prime continue to update it's 4.0 software as time goes along or will this device be stuck with one update and be forgotten about in a year like most android devices....

Thanks in advance

1. There is a Netflix app and it works well.
2. I haven't used an iPad long enough to make a fair comparison. I think the internet browsing on the TFP is good though.
3. Some people complain about the wifi, I haven't seen anything though.
4. The original Transformer has also gotten ICS already. I think that's a telling sign that Asus is pretty good about updating but the truth is we really don't know. It's dangerous to make purchasing desecions based on the possibility of future updates.
5. doubleTwist does sync iTunes I believe but the last time I used it the experience wasn't great, but that was years ago so I'm not sure if things have gotten better.
6. If you want to pay about $100 more for a better screen and can wait a few months then I think that TFP700 is worth it. Otherwise its the same device. The screen on the TFP201 is nice.

In many ways the TFP and the iPad are very similar benchmark wise. The iPad edges it out a bit in graphics but the TFP comes back in raw power, dual vs quad core CPU. At the end of the day though it really does come down to personal preference. I think in general iOS is a more refined OS but it limits you in many ways. Android will give you the flexibility you may want that you just can't get from iOS.

Comes down to mostly personal preference I think. Hope that helps!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

1. Yes. Not sure about HD, but the screen is 1280x800 and it looks great. I haven't tried hooking it to an external display yet, but my mHDI cable is on the way so I'll probably test that in the next week.

2. Internet experience is great, but I've never used an iPad of any flavor. The stock browser is good, but if you don't like it you can install and use Chrome, Opera, Dolphin, etc. I don't know if the iPad lets you choose your browser, but I am very satisfied with the browsing experience.

3. No major software flaws that I've seen, but the super-sexy all-metal backing has caused problems with wifi and GPS reception for some people. On mine, GPS doesn't work at all. That's not a big deal to me since I already have a GPS in the car and on my Droid 4, so any mapping/navigation that I would do I don't need to do on the Prime. Also, you can still use wifi-based location services which are fairly accurate (though not as accurate, or battery hungry, as GPS). I personally don't have wifi issues on mine. The next generation of Primes that will be coming out in a month or two will have a plastic panel where the radio antennae are that should resolve this issue.

4. Yes, they will continue to update software. No manufacturer really will put a guarantee in writing that they'll keep releasing updates, but the Prime first shipped in mid-December, and there's been around a half-dozen updates in the three months since, including ICS/4.0. Asus has a strong track record of providing updates, so this isn't a concern for me.

5. No idea, I don't use iTunes.

6. If you don't need a tablet now or if you can put up with that iPad 2 for another month or two, I'd wait. Here's the major differences:

Transformer Prime - available today
1.3 GHz Tegra 3
32 or 64GB of storage
mSDHC slot
1280x800 Super IPS+ display
Metal back that can cause some radio interference issues
8MP rear camer 1.2MP front
Wifi only

Transformer Pad Infinity (sometimes called the TF700/701) - coming soon
1.6 GHz Tegra 3 (Wifi) or 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU (3G/4G LTE version)
32 or 64GB of storage
mSDHC slot
1920x1200 Super IPS display
Metal back with plastic panel to avoid radio interference issues
8MP rear camer 2.0MP front
Will be available in Wifi-only or 3G/4G LTE mobile data

Transformer Pad 300 - coming soon
1.2 GHz Tegra 3 (Wifi) or 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU (3G/4G LTE version)
16GB of storage
mSDHC slot
1280x800 IPS display
Plastic back
8MP rear camer 1.2MP front
Will be available in Wifi-only or 3G/4G LTE mobile data

And of course all three will have available keyboard docks that add another 10 hours or so of battery life.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
There is a Netflix app. It works fine but I am not sure about HD.

With ICS and the latest updates, the internet experience is very smooth. I don't have an iPad to compare but from reviews it looks like it is a comparable experience. There are also browser alternatives you can choose from (ie, Boat or Chrome) which are even smoother than the stock browser.

If you need GPS on your tablet, this is not the tablet you want. The nice aluminum back lacks a window for the antenna, so it tends to be slow to lock on to satellites or it can't lock on them at all. This has actually been removed from the specs. The 700 addresses this by having plastic on the back. WiFi has been fine for me but some people have reported weak signals.

Asus has been good at upgrading software on their tablets. I believe that, as long as the hardware can handle it, it is likely the Prime will continue to get upgrades. The original Transformer just got ICS.

You have two options. iSyncr and and DoubleTwist. I don't use iTunes, so I couldn't tell you how well these work. They both are reviewed well in the Play Store, however.

The 700 has an even higher resolution screen (over 1080p) but, otherwise, has similar specs. It does have a back with plastic so it should have none of the GSP/WiFi issues that have been reported with the current Prime. It does cost $100 more than the Prime. This is something you have to decide. Not everyone is having issues with WiFi and/or GPS on their Primes (I don't have issues with WiFi but have slow GPS, which is irrelevant to me since I won't use the Prime for GPS).

I hope this is helpful!

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Your specific questions have already been answered so I'm not gonna add to that, but I will say that you won't regret the switch! I switched from an iPad 1, and my friend from an iPad 2, and we both LOVE the Prime! I can't speak for him more than that, but I know that I don't miss a single thing from having the iPad. Any sacrifices have been minor (ie little things like having to convert iWork docs to Word format) and I hardly notice :)

j8lacy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys you have all been very helpful.....I do have one more question though....I went into best buy to play with the prime a little bit and I noticed that in some cases it loads up the mobile version of a web page...this is something I really don't like. I tried browsing with the stock browser and chrome and had the same results. So is there a way to maybe go into the settings and have it automatically load up the regular web pages instead of the mobile ones?

j8lacy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Also if I do get the prime...how do I know if I have the one with the fixed gps issues? I seen one with a purple back and I saw another with a silver back is there a difference?

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
the tablet itself came out in the purple and silver variations, as for knowing which ones have a fixed gps issue. all of the tablets with the full aluminum backs potentially have issues with gps, thats just because the aluminum can interfere with the signal. if youre worried about it, do like im doing and wait for the transformer pad infinity, which unfortunately doesnt have a release date yet.

Software Guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the verge of switching. I bought the new iPad and gave my son my old one. I hesitated but bought one of the last few iPads left and didn't feel like ordering the Prime. The new iPad has a bad yellow tint to it. It's going back to best buy. I'll probably order a Prime and then return the iPad as I have 45 days. I don't think I can wait for the new 700 either. I can't go tabletless that long!

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys you have all been very helpful.....I do have one more question though....I went into best buy to play with the prime a little bit and I noticed that in some cases it loads up the mobile version of a web page...this is something I really don't like. I tried browsing with the stock browser and chrome and had the same results. So is there a way to maybe go into the settings and have it automatically load up the regular web pages instead of the mobile ones?

This happens on the ipad alot also. If you click on the menu key in the top right corner of the stock browser the will bean option to request desktop site.

j8lacy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the verge of switching. I bought the new iPad and gave my son my old one. I hesitated but bought one of the last few iPads left and didn't feel like ordering the Prime. The new iPad has a bad yellow tint to it. It's going back to best buy. I'll probably order a Prime and then return the iPad as I have 45 days. I don't think I can wait for the new 700 either. I can't go tabletless that long!

That's crazy I've seen the new iPad I didn't think it had a yellow tint to it

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

That happens. If the web site has a mobile version then it can send a flag to the browser to redirect to the mobile version of the site. In the stock browser you can then hit MENU and REQUEST DESKTOP SITE to get the non-mobile version. However, this works only on a page-by-page basis, and the browser doesn't "remember" your preference. Chrome doesn't have this functionality yet (I don't think) but it is supposed to be included in the next update for it (Chrome for Android is still in beta). Other browsers may handle this differently. Dolphin HD lets you set a permanent setting so that it always retrieves the desktop site for all sites. I use Dolphin HD most of the time primarily because of this.

Also if I do get the prime...how do I know if I have the one with the fixed gps issues? I seen one with a purple back and I saw another with a silver back is there a difference?

The two colors are identical in features, both come in 32GB and 64GB versions. Color is the only difference. As far as the GPS issues go, they all have the issue. Some seem to have it worse than others. The Infinity line will not have this issue.