Wired Ethernet in the lastest OTA

Manjaro

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
(Please note - this is just my experience. Your mileage may vary, consult a Doctor before attempting a change in connectivity, et cetera. In short, it worked for me, hopefully it will for you, too.)

After reading the story from Mar 29th in regards to the Prime getting a new OTA, I picked up the upgrade, figuring, if nothing else, I'd do it for the sake of keeping my favorite toy up-to-date. But, after reading further and seeing that it included the software for an upcoming wired ethernet accessory, I remembered I actually have a USB wired ethernet adapter. After a few disused gears got to working between my ears, I figured, what the heck, why not?

The adapter I tried, in this case, is a Trendnet model TU2-ET100 10/100 USB 2.0 wired ethernet adapter (goes for about $15 online), connecting to an unrooted (but up-to-date) Transformer Prime. On plugging it in, the Prime immediately recognized it, and a new icon in the tray appeared, which, when tapped, opens to an option in the settings menu for it, with only one sub-option - static or dynamic IP addressing. (Since my network just works off of DHCP, I left it on dynamic and didn't really tinker with that setting.)

To test it, I turned off wifi (so I could be sure it was getting an uplink over ethernet vs wifi), and plugged in the ethernet cord. Within about 10 seconds, I got a notification that the IP address had been set via DHCP, and proceeded to open up Dolphin to give it a shot; I was able to access the web as normal. I tested a few other apps, too; the only one to raise a stink was Fing (no surprise, that - it was made to work exclusively over wifi.) I didn't notice any drop-outs or force-closes on any of the tested apps (those being Dolphin, gReader pro, Twitter, and Andchat, to name a few.)

So, if you're in a rush to hook up over a wired connection (I imagine this'd be useful for folks who work in offices where wifi is looked upon with the same level of approval that Hawaiian shirts are), it looks like you don't really need to wait for Asus to come out with their accessory; apparently an existing USB adapter'll work, too. I should note, though, I only have the above-mentioned model to test it with, so YMMV with other similar devices.

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually used one before the update and it worked OK. But after the update it is plug and play and works awesome. Kudos on the update.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5